Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Travelers Palm

Posted by fleaseyelash z5-6 N.Y. (davescollision1@aol.com) on
Mon, Mar 22, 10 at 15:55

Any one growing this as a potted indoor plant in the north east part of country.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Travelers Palm

I have one. What do you need to know about them?

As long as you have some good light and warmth over winter, you should be able to grow one.

o

Thanks for reply. That is what i wanted to know.

o

I assume you are talking about ravenala madagascarienis. If so this is a very large plant that grows 20 - 30' high with a spread of about 7 - 8' with keikis sprouting from the trunk. The trunk would have a diameter of about 10". This is of course for a mature tree however the growth of this plant is somewhat like a palm where the size of the trunk has to reach its mature size before it starts to grow taller and is unsuitable for growing in a pot. I grew one in the garden when I lived in Sydney and I can confirm the sizes given above. Also it is not the type of plant that can be kept in check by pruning.
Sorry be the bearer of bad news. Of course you may be talking about another plant called a traveler's palm. Such is the problem with common names. If so I apologize for my comments.

John Driscoll

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here