Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical looking shrub

Posted by realityfaery 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 17:54

Hello! We are buying a new home and it sits on a corner lot. Half of our fence is exposed to the street and I have a good 5 feet between the fence and sidewalk to plant something that will provide privacy (I'm also going to plant something on the inside of the yard that will spread along the fence and add additional privacy). Not only from foot traffic, but also to help keep our dogs calmer from anyone who would possibly be walking by. So I would love something that gets about 6 feet or over that would be a good sized scrub/bush that can provide privacy and have a tropical look to it. Anyone have a suggestion?? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical looking shrub

My first thought is bamboo, but that can be quite invasive. There is a way you can plant it so it isn't but it sounds too intense for me. Ginger would be pretty good, especially the pine cone variety is pretty dense.

o

What about a Duranta. I have 2 and keep them pruned to 6 to 7 feet tall. They gets these great purple flowers, very exotic looking

o

Thank you both for the suggestions! My mother actually has a Duranta in her front yard which she prunes to a tree, I never even considered using that. I actually just may use some of those and zackey suggestion of Ginger (which I love). Again thank you both so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here