Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bougainvilla

Posted by watergal z6/7 Westminster, MD (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 07 at 18:48

I have a 'Raspberry Ice' that I bought as a small plant about 3 years ago. I wanted a plant that could handle my west facing sunny deck without a lot of water. I planted it into a large pot with an iron tee-pee shaped trellis thingie. The first year it did great and bloomed. The second year it grew but only a few tiny flowers. Last year lovely leaves but no flowers.

I water sparingly, overwinter inside, fertilize rarely. What am I doing wrong? Could it just not like such a large pot? I saw them for sale online in a hanging basket - maybe I should dig it up and try that instead? Please help. The foliage is very pretty with the variegation, but I'd like some flowers too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bougainvilla

I read from somewhere that bougs like to be root bounded in order to flower prolifically.

In his site, GORDON BRASWELL said: "A bougainvillea blooms best when pot-bound. So, do not be tempted to repot unless you must. I have found that it is best to leave the plant in its original container until the roots have replaced all of the soil and you can't keep the plant well watered. For example, it is not unusal to grow a bougainvillea in a 1-gallon pot for 3 or more years."

He also mentioned feeding is essential for a healthy growth but do not over feed the plant.

The most important info is here:

"Bougainvillea has two distint growth cycles:
A vegetative growth period for seveal weeks -- when new leaves and stems grow.

If the plant receives enough sunlight the plant will form buds during this time. If there is not enough sunlight, the plant will remain in vegetative cycle.

A blooming period of several weeks when little or no vegetative growth occurs.

The length of time they will bloom is dependent upon the health of the plant and the environment they are in, the more sun and heat, the better. However, long days and short nights (July and August in Florida) limit a bougainvillea ability to bloom. "

o
RE: bougainvilla

• Posted by watergal z6/7 Westminster, MD (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 19, 07 at 7:40

I guess the big pot is probably the problem - I guess I'll yank it out and look at the roots and move it down if needed (I used the big pot because I wanted to use the iron trellis). It definitely gets plenty of light. Maybe some fertilizer, although I remember reading that they really prefer very little of it. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here