Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drake_2009

Frangapani

drake_2009
15 years ago

I HAVE SEVERAL FRANGAPANI PLANTS IN MY GARDEN I NOTICED THAT THE TIPS OF ONE OF THE LARGE PLANTS ARE SOFT & LOOKS LIKE IT'S DYING, CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO SAVE THIS BEAUTIFUL PLANT. WE DID HAVE SEVERAL COLD DAYS THIS WINTER.

Comments (4)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    15 years ago

Drake, hi there....try posting your question on the Plumeria forum (Plumeria aka Frangipani)as there are experts on there 'more specific to your problem' who will be able to help you I'm certain....they help me all the time!
    Good luck.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

drake,

Where in FL are you? Did you get into upper 20s, low 30s? If you got that cold, it could be frost damage. Likely the tips will turn black and slough off. You will get new growth and maybe some branching just below that, but thnew growths will not bloom until it matures -- maybe late in summer for you. Photo might help.

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Sounds like frost damage . About all you can do is trim off the damaged parts and hope it recovers. I've had them killed roots andall at 27. Usually recover from frost though gary

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I agree with frost damage but I wouldn't be so quick to trim the plant back. Like Dave said if it's not too bad the damaged part will die back and drop off. If you do end up having to trim the plant back dust the cut end with a fungicide. Some people also seal the cuts with silicon caulk after it's been dusted and dried. Good luck.