Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh that was stupid -- labelled things wrong!

Posted by tropic.dreams OH5 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 19:24

Last fall when I was packing up my bulbs for storage I did a stupid thing -- I mixed my eucomis and hymenocallis together and labeled them all hymenocallis. D'oh!

The tiny bulblets are probably going to remain a mystery.

Any ideas on which is which of the big ones?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh that was stupid -- labelled things wrong!

Hi there (^_^)" just guess, I wonder if we can separate them by smelling.
Crush the root, I think they might be different, most of bulbs have unique smell.

Cheers,

Chanin

o
RE: Oh that was stupid -- labelled things wrong!

I looked and looked online and thought the ones on the right looked a little more like hymenocallis, and saw some in the store that looked *sort of* like it.

And the ones on the left looked *sort of* more like eucomis online and some in stores, and bulbs of a different color I have.... so I'm going with that for now.

I know that when they flower it will be obvious. I'll have to check pictures I took last year to see if I can tell which one had which leaves.

I have everything temporarily in dirt to start sprouting so I hope I can tell what they are before I pot them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here