Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical Plant - Monestaria - Freeze Damage

Posted by bluebayou Georgia (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 22, 10 at 19:45

My 100 year old large Monestaria plant,that resided in my great grandmother's Florida hotel, received major freeze damage during the severe Atlanta winter. The large leaves have all died, and, although the vines were initially green, pieces continue to turn dark and soft, which I cut back. Although there is still green portions of the once giant plant, the plant no longer takes the water up, so it is standing and rank in the platter below the pot. I feel compelled to replant and create the right environment to break this trend, but some have told me not to repot, that it will shock the plant further. Note the Monestaria has air roots. WHAT SHOULD I DO????????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical Plant - Monestaria - Freeze Damage

In our area, freeze-back of this plant happens every year. People just cut it back to the ground and it starts over.

o

We're talkin Monstera,right? Mine in 1990 was frozen also and it was just a matter of starting over from the largest pieces. I chose to move mine so it was divided after the freeze and largest stems placed where they could climb under more cover and protection from frost. At least with thick stems the wait to get the large leaves isnt long.
When it does start to grow-fertilize it all summer in appropiate doses to boost it.

o

Mine did the same thing this year, and its still firm and green a the base. I'm hoping it comes back soon especially since its starting to warm up lately. Its already survived lows in the 20s once!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Rainforest Garden: Tropical Gardening Where its Not So Tropical

o

Okay, its official! After two of the coldest winters in years (several nights in the low 20's, my monstera is pushing out new growth! I'm so excited. By the way bluebayou, is yours a monstera or a split leaf philodendron?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here