Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropicals or tropical look-alike for zone 6A

Posted by AustinGarden 8B (Soon to be 6A) (kyletaylor2000@live.com) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 20:03

I'm moving to Lexington, KY in a few months, and I don't want to give up my tropicals. Will Musa Basjoo (Hardy Banana) survive there? Please give me some tropical or tropical look-alikes!

Thanks,
~AustinGarden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropicals or tropical look-alike for zone 6A

Check out the posts by Arctictropical. He lives near Logan, Utah in Zone 4 and has created an amazing tropical garden, including bananas! You have to see it to believe it. See link to his posts, below.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Search results for: arctictropical

o

I always thought Pieris japonica had a tropical look. Are you looking for only hardy entities, or ones for over-wintering as well?

o

Mostly hardy, but I can do a few potted plants.

o

Hardy stuff... bleeding hearts, Hostas, Clematis, Wisteria, Salvias, climbing/rambling roses, Baptisia, Brunnera, Heuchera... wild/unusual foliage.

Non-hardy stuff: ...That you can store "naked" like Cannas, elephant ears (Colocasia,) Caladiums, Calla lilies, Gladiolus, sweet potato vine are easy if you have a basement or garage against the house.

Lantana, Persian shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus,) Bougainvillea, Mandevilla, others can be brought inside after light frost defoliates them and stored in much less light than a normal house plant would tolerate, small/north windows, middle of a room, basement with shop lights. Ugly but usually works if you don't overwater.

If the house meets the ground/has a basement, against the house can be a microclimate for zone cheating. Mirabilis jalapa (4'o'clocks,) Cannas, Bananas, are commonly reported overwintering in Z 5 & 6 microclimates. There are also big piles of leaves, boxes with Christmas lights, and other tricks used outside.

Things you can grow from seed always help decorate, and keep things interesting and colorful, like Castor bean, hyacinth bean vine, Nasturtiums, Borage, Coleus, Basil, Zinnias. The presence of butterflies always makes things seem more tropical to me. The last 3 I mentioned make flowers prized by butterflies and hummers.

o

HI!

You need to hit up brians botanicals, hes got TONS of great tropicals that he overwinters just down the road from lex.

He doing some amazing stuff with elephant ears!

everything he sells is top notch and you will be within an hours drive of there so you can avoid the shipping and get to see all his plants, its worth the trip

o

Here's a link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Brian’s Botanicals

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here