Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blue jade vine and conflicting advice

Posted by gaza 10 la CA (tropicalgaza@webtv.net) on
Wed, Mar 26, 08 at 20:07

hi group,have got several of these,but have lost 2 this past week.
they all have been growing for several years in the ground,with min temps of 40,one year went down to 30[freak cold spell],all were fine.
now i see some roots,which are above ground on all for just an inch or two,have been severed!
it looks like,if you can imagine string,when it is freyed.
i say it is mice or vermin,but others say it is fungus/root rot.
would not rot,just look like mush?,and be below ground?
i have many vines,but only this species is affected.
could it be the roots on this are tastier?
also have to say,that all other vines have roots well below soil level,but this one tends to have at least a few above ground.
also thought,if it was cold damage,rot,why would they get through the cool of winter,and then die when temps are 50+ at night?
gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blue jade vine and conflicting advice

Gary,
I would suspect a pest. But, do you have anything like a county Ag extension agency that you could take a sample to for testing? We have that here, you can take samples of plants or soil in and they will look at it and/or analyze it to see what's wrong. Florida is kind of proactive about it, they want to know if there are any "new" pests on the scene as yet undiscovered. Most of this stuff they will do free or for a small fee, I know nematode analysis is a little bit more expensive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here