Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning passion flowers

Posted by ifraser25 z11 Brazil (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 07 at 21:02

When is the best time to prune passion flowers and how hard should they be cut back? I have several large Passiflora edulis ( + a couple of others ). The P.edulis is now about 20m from base to tip (50 feet) Only the top third or so of it is still in leaf. It seems to have done flowering and fruiting for this season. We have had 100s of delicious fruits, which we mostly made into juice and jelly, though it's also v nice squeezed on salads. The plants are now about 4 years old and up to now have only been given a light trim.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning passion flowers

Hi
Only have the ornamental types ,a red and a purple.Have no idea which types.Both grow at unbelieveable speed.
For the red I'd suggest pruning every other day lol.
It is beautiful but soooo invasive . Can't help with the edible kinds as I only grow useless plants for some reason, lol gary

o

Thanks. I think I'm going to cut them hard back. They are such vigorous plants I'm sure they'll resprout. How long can you expect a passion flower to live on average? Or are they just old soldiers...?

o

Once again, I'm green with envy! :> I have a passiflora decainsea (sp?) that is barely clinging to life at the moment. The poor dear is not happy about the drafty cold room we are in right now. But, it's not dead yet! I pruned off the dying main stem, and it's still slowly turning brown. :< But, there is hope, I see at least one bud trying to form! :> Hopefully in my next life I can be reincarnated into a tropical place. :D

o

I chop them way back when they grow out of control and get on my nerves. I've never had a problem with any of my passiflora putting out new growth no matter if I cut it a little or almost to the soil line. All my passies are grown in containers.
Karyn

o

I plan on cutting my passion vines back pretty good this winter so I can clear the fence for next year. I have never had a problem of them coming back although sometimes I wonder. I was just wondering how much water to give them during the winter months so they don't take so long in the spring to start growing?

o

Unless you are having a severe drought I wouldn't water inground passies at all during the cold months while they are dormant. Cold wet roots promote rot.
Karyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here