Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnutgrower

plant ID & Sick Coffe Plant :(

fruitnutgrower
16 years ago

1. A year ago, I found this little sprig of plant in an order of tropical fruits and orchids from a tropical nursery. what the heck... I put it in dirt and low and behold it took root and is thriving.

Any help with what it is? it may be a weed for all I know... but the leaves are shiny and nice.

thanks for the help.

2. on this link you will also see 2 pictures of my sick coffee plant. it has been like this for almost 2yrs. little to NO new growth but a constant brown/black of the edge of the leaves. Ive tried treating it for fungus, tried repotting it in new mix... even changed how I wtered it. nothing helped. im scared its some kind of blight. but i dont know what. any ideas?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24913199@N05/?saved=1

thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to pictures.

Comments (4)

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

How do the roots look on your Coffee plant? I agree, it looks very ill. They like acidic soil (I use peat and pine bark for mine) and filtered shade (like under a larger tree). Overwatering could certainly cause the problem, I'd drench the *soil* with a fungicide if I had the plant. Have you tried pruning off the damaged parts?

Can you put it in the ground? Mine are planted in a raised bed with Bananas for shade. They are doing well.

But, I've seen them locally in pots, growing beautifully too. A healthy one is a gorgeous plant, so it is well worth trying to save!

Good luck!

Lisa

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

I can't ID your mystery plant, sorry..but it looks good, so keep it going..You never know what'll turn up..

I like the shape of your coffee..has it sent out any growth at all?? If it were mine, I'd remove the leaves and any brown/dead growth.
    Coffee's need acidic soil, like Lisa said. What type of soil is yours potted in?
    They also require humidity and fresh air..and a rest during winter/short-day months..so no fertilizers.
    I don't know if all coffee trees are slow-growing; mine is several years old, only 3', but it's possible it's the size it is because of my location. (IL)
    If possible, set outdoors in a shady spot. Try not to over or underwater. I let soil dry a little between waterings, mist foliage daily, and during winter, keep atop pebbles to help with humidity. In spring/summer, it gets a well-balanced, (though half-strength) 20-20-20 fertilizer. Good luck, Toni

• fruitnutgrower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have tried cutting the "damaged" parts of the leaf off but almost every leaf is involved so I got scared I was going to murder it. Also, I removed alot (but not all) of the damaged leaves one time and the problem just seemed to slwoly return.
    I repotted it a year ago in peat and topsoil mix and I have to admit, the roots looked pretty scraggaly, but I thought after I repotted it, that it would perk up... but it really hasnt changed.
    I live in Jax Fl so we have good weather most of the year and I have large oak tree canopies in my yard, so they get good filtered sunlight all day (i use a greenhouse for the 2wks of winter;)
    I want to plant it into the ground... but felt like it was to small and not healthy enough to stand it.....

so all in all... I just am not sure. could be anything. but I think I will take your advice and strip the leaves and hope for the best.

thanks

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Hi Fruit..Sometimes certain plants behave as if they've got problems that, no matter what we do, grow sickly. Wonder if it's genetic.
    IMO, and what I've read, if a sick/brown/yellow, etc leaf is left on a plant, nutrients focus on bad leaves, end results, the entire plant goes. This is one reason I remove marred foliage/stems..I don't know if it's fact, but no matter, leaving damaged parts on a plant looks bad, so why keep them on?
    I can't tell by the picture, but what size pot is your coffee in, and does it have drainage.
    Coffee trees will not survive in muddy soil..
    What about chemicals? Used any? Fertilizer is a good example? If overfed, leaf/root burn will kill a plant.
    Don't be afraid..remove damaged foliage w/sharp scissors. Don't pluck off. Mist foliage daily, and if possible, shower foliage (not soil) once a wk.
    Do you use Superthrive? Toni