Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Male/Female jackfruit flower

Posted by eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 5, 06 at 1:07

How do you tell the differences between a male and female jackfruit flower?

My jackfruit seedling has sent out its first flower, I'm kind of sure its a male, so no fruit or anything, either way its way too small to be flowering. This particular seedling was started in Fall 03' Planted out in Spring 05'. It didn't handle the winter too well either, all the leaves are very yellow but still sending out growth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Male/Female jackfruit flower

This page seems to provide some distintions between the male and female flowers.

And congrats on getting the jackfruit this far. They seem to be pretty hardy about recovering from leaf loss due to winter conditions.

o

Hi eggo,

well, if you only have 1 flower will be more difficult than having both inflorescenses in order to identify them; if you get both, then just compare them and the female is the bigger, fatter, with the thicker and a shorter peduncle one.

Saludos.

o

Hello, anyone out here could tell me based on the pictures on my links here, this is a picture of the tree and its leaves with the male flowers, perhaps? The flowers has strong odors. So far I do not have any female flower to confirm whether it is a jack fruit tree or not. Can anyone, please, confirm that if it is a jack fruit tree or not?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/khamtoun/4438889842/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/khamtoun/4438119395/

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/khamtoun/4438119395/

o

Definitely not a jakfruit tree. Not sure what it is....perhaps wampee?

o

Thanks for your response. The blossoms and the leaves do look very much like they belong to the wampee tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here