Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
felixcat_gw

paulownia flowering in the U.K.!

felixcat
16 years ago

At last I am able to put my paulownia outside of the greenhouse. I am too impatient to wait for any more flowers to open before I posted a picture.I am absolutely delighted with it.

{{gwi:5852}}

Comments (7)

• birdinthepalm
    16 years ago

From what I understand they should be quite winter hardy in most location throughout the U.K, since they are quite cold hardy, but though I'm tempted to grow one here from seeds, it's quite doubtful it would survive our -25C temperatures on occasion, even though those lows are rare. Even so our winter avarage may mean it stays below freezing here for at least an entire month in winter, and that might be a bit too much for them. They sure are lovely plants and congratulations on the flowers.

• felixcat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Birdintheplam, I understand the tree itself is perfectly hardy once out of the seedling stage but the flowers forming in November mean thet abort in the frost.I kept losing the flowers due to the frost so I pulled it into the cold greenhouse this winter and it proved just enough protection for the buds to turn into flowers. The tree was too tall for the greenhouse so I had the tree at an angle to accomodate the top! I think it was worth the effort never thought I would see it in flower. I suppose those who live in warmer climes think we are mad to be so thrilled over their weeds!!!
    Have a go at growing one you have nothing to lose if you grow it in a pot.
    Felixcat

• birdinthepalm
    16 years ago

I sometimes wonder about indivudual garening tastes , and it seems though I'd prefer a large floriferous plant , should I grow them, I guess some folks purposely prune them hard back every year to encourage massive tropical looking leaves and a different effect in the garden. I'd prefer the flowers however, and that will not happen with the heavy pruning each year.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Felixcat what zone are you in? I thought your temps were similar to ours. They bloom like crazy in the spring here and are extremely cold hardy, even from seed. We have mostly below freezing temps or close to it Jan thru the end of Feb. Actually that's the problem with them in this area. Seedlings everywhere and they are extremely fast growing.
    Karyn

• felixcat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Karyn. I think our zone is the same as yours and yes the paulownia tree is hardy because mine has stood outside in it's pot for a couple of years and that was the problemn. The flowers forming in November would abort due to the cold so for the first time I pulled the tree inside a greenhouse and I'm so thrilled to see the flowers open they're beautiful. Are you saying the trees in your area manage to keep their flowers?

• birdinthepalm
    16 years ago

I guess the real "rub" with them can be the bud hardiness issue, with the buds not surviving in the coldest zones, even though the trees persist and grow for many years with little cold damage where temperatures are very cold? As to hlow cold those buds will survive I guess is the question I did read in another site somewhere, that it's very hard to get flowers successfully in their coldest range!

• felixcat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The weather turned very nippy last night in the U.K. so I pulled the strelitzia inside just in case but had to leave the paulownia outside ( it's got to take it's chances now until winter )Everything was fine this morning but it's a bit of a bind keep worrying if I've moved the plants outside too soon.