Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrao77

How long for a Mango tree (from seedling) to set fruit?

mrao77
14 years ago

To all you mango lovers,

How long does it usually take for a Kent Seedling to mature enough for fruit set? Any one have experience in this area for tips on inducing fruit? I have had mine for about 5 years, bring it into the sunroom for the winter. Have to give it a good cut every year to be able to bring it in. It does well outside and grows well, but no flowers yet. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mrao77

Comments (23)

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

Most recommend not trying to grow mangos from seed for fruit. If it ever does fruit, most likely will taste pretty bad. It sounds as if you have a nice size tree though and there is certainly no sense in it going to waste or even continue as a house plant.

I would advise jumping over to the Tropical Fruit forum next door and asking some of your Florida residents if they would send you some cuttings of some very nice "known" varieties. You should be able to find someone familiar with grafting...maybe there is a nursery or fruit farm in the area. Find them and see if they will help you graft the cuttings onto your mango. Or you could give it a try yourself. Lots of info on the web concerning mango grafting...even several videos out there. I believe this to be your best and only real option.

I would also like to see some pics. Seriously...head over to the Tropical Fruit forum. You'll get lots of help over there.

• zain
    14 years ago

Hmm Mangos In Indian subcontinent they are called the king of fruits. Most of the cultivars which are appreciated in India are quite fussy (Taste and fragrance is quite unlike any in the world). Most mangoes are not allowed to fruit till 3 years and then every 2 or every 3 year they are not allowed to fruit. Many Mangoes are not allowed to fruit till they are 5 years old.
    If you can land an Indian/pakistani variety you will relish the extraordinary taste. I have given up on eating mangoes in USA altogether.

• sandy119
    10 years ago

hello, I am from the UK and i am attempting to grow a mango tree indoors, i have been growing my wee tree for over 1 Month now, i am not sure what type it is but it has grown very quickly to this day with 4 leaves about 13cm long and its about 14 cm tall so do you have any types for me to help it grow and maybe make some sort of fruit in the far future?

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

You'll have difficulty giving it the full strength sun it needs most of the year. Also maintaining sufficient warmth. They're probably your biggest problems. Mangos don't need a lot of fertiliser, but they always do better with some. Don't let the soil stay too wet, especially when it's cold. Make sure the soil it's in drains well. The air around it doesn't need much humidity, too much can cause fungal disease. Seeing as it's growing already and you're coming into your summer it's your best chance for it to get a reasonable start. Good luck with it.

• john_dr
    10 years ago

A lot of mango trees are grown here in Brisbane and Sydney and from what I have seen young trees seem to fruit very well. In fact I have seen trees in pots in the nursery flowering and bearing fruit. In general I think younger trees fruit better older large trees.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Certainly you'll see young mangos for sale in nurseries already flowering and in some cases fruiting. But they're all grafted trees, not seedlings. The graft is the same age as the tree it was taken from, usually over 8 years old. The rootstock is from a seedling. If you lost the graft off one of those trees from the nurseries what remains would need to get to 7 or 8 years old before it flowered.

• ianbrazil
    10 years ago

10 years. Very difficult to fruit at all outside the tropics. I agree grafted trees are a much better option and you will be able to choose the variety you prefer. Like apples the taste does vary!

• ianbrazil
    10 years ago

10 years. Very difficult to fruit at all outside the tropics. I agree grafted trees are a much better option and you will be able to choose the variety you prefer. Like apples the taste does vary!

• jnjwarr
    7 years ago

I have grown a Hayden Mango from seed What is the best time to plant it outdoors? I live in southern California. Also will it bare fruit?

• Olga Varlakov
    7 years ago

You can grow mango from seed if it's a polyembryonic mango like Bowen (Australian) or Nam Doc Mai (Thai) . As a result, you will have the same variety. My Bowen seedling does pretty well, it's 7 y.0 , excellent fruits.

• Jason (Zone 10b, San Diego)
    7 years ago

From the Fruits of Warm Climates website, it generally takes 6 years for a seedling to fruit. Best time to plant in Cali is late winter, early spring before it gets too hot. Use lots of mulch to protect the roots from baking. Also make sure to acclimatize your seedling before taking it outdoors. I've made that mistake and badly scorched some of my plants. When moving it outside, place it in full shade for a week and then gradually move it so that it gets more and more sunlight.

Best of luck!

• Chuck Koenecke
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

These home grown Florida mangos are incredible. I have brought over 200 to work in the past few weeks and everyone says they taste like mango candy. They are right and I have been cleaning them and vacuum sealing them for the freezer for weeks. The largest has been 12inches in length with the average being 7 inches. The mangos in the supermarket are tiny in comparison.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The Haden will thrive in soucal and as a seedling you can expect it to reach a large size one day. Always though,you can prune it to size.

If you grow one of the small "Asian" Mexican Mangoes,from seed to fruit is about 4 or 5 years. Some claim 3. Maybe.

• adamsarah58
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am growing a mango it's a Haden mango and it's one inch at the moment and I hope that it will become a good mango thank

• puglvr1
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I wish you luck...and I hope you have a lot of patience :o)...that will take probably at least over 10 years most likely before you see fruits. But its fun growing a mango from seed :o)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    6 years ago

I have a 3 year old Champagne from seed. I see at least another 3 is best guess to fruit. Unless you get very fast growth, 5 years would be soonest. I'm in a cooler grow climate. Double the time for everything.

• PRO
    SRS. Inc
    6 years ago

I was told that mango trees/plants need tropical weather to service so I just let mine sit on my Xbox while I play every day and after one month I got two out of three delicious smelling plants , the leafs smell like I want to eat it , I am only curious in how long before one bares any fruit, when they flower how does it get pollinated

• tropicbreezent
    6 years ago

Mangos can grow a long way from the tropics and still flower and fruit. But the further they are from the tropics the more care they need. From a seed they can take a long time to fruit. The flowers are pollinated by a large variety if insects, bees, wasps, flies, moths, butterflies, ants, etc.

• steiconi
    6 years ago

I noticed that someone here said that mangos grown from seed "most likely will taste pretty bad" I've heard that of avocados, too.

But the real story is that they won't be just like the parent tree's fruit. They might be better, might be worse. You might find yourself with the next great variety!

• Erwin Dela Cruz
    6 years ago

I grew this mango tree from seed about maybe... 2 years ago and it keeps growing upwards! If I want to keep it dwarfed (if even possible) do I cut it so it will be forced to branch out? Or do I just let it grow on its own and let I let decide to branch out ? Any suggestions?

• tropicbreezent
    6 years ago

There are tall growing varieties and there are not so tall growing ones. Probably your best course of action is to let it grow as tall as possible to get a thickened trunk then cut it very low. That way you should get a number of side shoots/branches. If you cut it early with a thin trunk you're likely to get fewer branches. Having it up against a fence reduces the area branches have to spread out and is what promotes a taller tree. If you had a grafted tree those don't grow as tall as the ungrafted ones.

• nancyburridge
    6 years ago

Chuck Koenecke In what area of Florida are you located? I would be interested in buying several of your mangoes and starting my own tree. Florida mangoes are very prolific and delicious. ~Nancy

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz