Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long for a Mango tree (from seedling) to set fruit?

Posted by mrao77 TX US zone 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 10:15

To all you mango lovers,
How long does it usually take for a Kent Seedling to mature enough for fruit set? Any one have experience in this area for tips on inducing fruit? I have had mine for about 5 years, bring it into the sunroom for the winter. Have to give it a good cut every year to be able to bring it in. It does well outside and grows well, but no flowers yet. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks
mrao77

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long for a Mango tree (from seedling) to set fruit?

Here's a link that might be useful...if you scroll down to
"Propagation", it talks about appx. how long it takes for grafted and seedling trees to bear fruit.

http://www.extento.hawaii.edu/kbase/crop/crops/i_mango.htm

By any chance could you Please post a picture of your Mango tree, I would love to see it? Thanks!

BTW, I have a grafted "Glenn Mango"...since Oct.06. It flowered for the first time in Feb 08(fruits didn't set), it flowered again four months ago(Dec 08), we had a very cold winter here in FL, and I was dragging it in and out of the garage, and none of the flowers set fruit, all the flowers died and fell off...now its Reblooming again! So, I guess the answer to your question is...who knows, lol... All I can say is my grafted one for whatever reason, can't seem to set and keep the fruits, and I don't know why? My best guess is its just not mature enough, maybe? I do know it is big enough. But yet I've heard of younger grafted mangos that fruit the first year...so obviously I'm not doing something right either. Well, Good luck!

Here's mine...

Here is a link that might be useful: My Potted Mango

o

Most recommend not trying to grow mangos from seed for fruit. If it ever does fruit, most likely will taste pretty bad. It sounds as if you have a nice size tree though and there is certainly no sense in it going to waste or even continue as a house plant.

I would advise jumping over to the Tropical Fruit forum next door and asking some of your Florida residents if they would send you some cuttings of some very nice "known" varieties. You should be able to find someone familiar with grafting...maybe there is a nursery or fruit farm in the area. Find them and see if they will help you graft the cuttings onto your mango. Or you could give it a try yourself. Lots of info on the web concerning mango grafting...even several videos out there. I believe this to be your best and only real option.

I would also like to see some pics. Seriously...head over to the Tropical Fruit forum. You'll get lots of help over there.

o

Hmm Mangos In Indian subcontinent they are called the king of fruits. Most of the cultivars which are appreciated in India are quite fussy (Taste and fragrance is quite unlike any in the world). Most mangoes are not allowed to fruit till 3 years and then every 2 or every 3 year they are not allowed to fruit. Many Mangoes are not allowed to fruit till they are 5 years old.
If you can land an Indian/pakistani variety you will relish the extraordinary taste. I have given up on eating mangoes in USA altogether.

o

hello, I am from the UK and i am attempting to grow a mango tree indoors, i have been growing my wee tree for over 1 Month now, i am not sure what type it is but it has grown very quickly to this day with 4 leaves about 13cm long and its about 14 cm tall so do you have any types for me to help it grow and maybe make some sort of fruit in the far future?

o

You'll have difficulty giving it the full strength sun it needs most of the year. Also maintaining sufficient warmth. They're probably your biggest problems. Mangos don't need a lot of fertiliser, but they always do better with some. Don't let the soil stay too wet, especially when it's cold. Make sure the soil it's in drains well. The air around it doesn't need much humidity, too much can cause fungal disease. Seeing as it's growing already and you're coming into your summer it's your best chance for it to get a reasonable start. Good luck with it.

o

A lot of mango trees are grown here in Brisbane and Sydney and from what I have seen young trees seem to fruit very well. In fact I have seen trees in pots in the nursery flowering and bearing fruit. In general I think younger trees fruit better older large trees.

o

Certainly you'll see young mangos for sale in nurseries already flowering and in some cases fruiting. But they're all grafted trees, not seedlings. The graft is the same age as the tree it was taken from, usually over 8 years old. The rootstock is from a seedling. If you lost the graft off one of those trees from the nurseries what remains would need to get to 7 or 8 years old before it flowered.

o

10 years. Very difficult to fruit at all outside the tropics. I agree grafted trees are a much better option and you will be able to choose the variety you prefer. Like apples the taste does vary!

o

10 years. Very difficult to fruit at all outside the tropics. I agree grafted trees are a much better option and you will be able to choose the variety you prefer. Like apples the taste does vary!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here