Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decogrl_gw

Care for Clerodendron Ugandense

decogrl
16 years ago

Just bought 2 plants. I am in VA zone 6--I have a sunroom and plan to move them outdoors in summer. Any tips on care for them --requirements, etc? Mine are very small plants.

Thanks

Comments (9)

• bihai
    16 years ago

Clerdendron ugandese REALLY likes the summer.
    Mine is in the ground and gets frozen to the ground every winter, and by summer's end it is over 10 ft tall. Its EXTREMELY vigorous. Perhaps if yours exhibits that sort of growth, you can cut it back by half to take it inside in winter

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Deco, Clerodendrons like sun, but beware of hot, afternoon sun..inspect soil every other day so it doesn't dry out too much..leaves will droop when soil drys, but after a good drink, perks them up..Toni

• bahia
    16 years ago

This plant can be radically cut back each fall before taking it back inside, or you could treat it like a Brugmansia and put it in a non freezing garage with low/no light and allow it to go dormant at full size. Even here in relatively mild northern California, this tends to go semi-dormant in winter, although it will stay evergreen and even continue blooming if located in a warm protected spot with full winter sun. It tends not to get going in spring until the temperatures really warm up, so if you do cut back/allow to go dormant, don't despair if it seems late leafing back out, it just wants it to warm up first. Treat it like young tomato plants, as to when to put it outside, and you should be fine.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    16 years ago

You can also take cuttings in the Fall. Cuttings root quite easily and the plants are smaller for wintering over. Don't over-fertilize this one or it may not bloom well.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I grow my C. ugandense in containers, in full sun and they require almost no care. I winter them over inside and they bloom year round. I prune them severely to keep the size managable. They'd easily reach well over 5' by mid summer if not pruned, even in a fairly small pot. It's also very easily propagated from cuttings and seed, though the seed take quite a while to germinate.
    Karyn

• greenthumbwannab05
    15 years ago

My husband and I lived in Okinawa Japan I found this plant at a nusery off base. I instantly fell in love with it. I planted it and enjoyed it. When we moved back to MI I really missed it while I was starting our gardens here. I went to ebay and was looking through the ads and found it. I never read how to care for it before because the instructions were in Japanese. I need advice on how to care for this plant. I plan on bringing it indoors during the winter. Does it need a lot of sun. The instructions that came with it just said for the first two weeks to leave it in the shade. Please help! Thanks.

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I keep some in full sun and others in part sun. Both do well but I think I have more flowers on the ones in full sun. You can allow them to go dormant over the winter in a cold but not freezing garage. If you do that give them almost no water until the spring. You just want enough moisture to keep the roots from drying out. If you want them to continue growing inside over the winter keep them in a sunny area but still keep them on the dry side while indoors. You also want to watch out for nasties like spider mites and mealy bugs if they are going to be growing inside.
    Karyn

• mayko
    15 years ago

I overwintered my plant in a heated low light basement. The plant lost 98% of its' leaves and scale bugs found it in February. I moved it out in May and now it is blooming, though rather lightly and it is sparsely leaved. What should I do? It is in full sun and receives all the water that it needs. Also, what is the best way to propagate more of these lovelies? I am in Camp Hill PA.

• sonshine_tn
    11 years ago

I have had my Cleradendron Ugandense for about 16 months, inside in a sunroom where it gets full sun 6 hr. a day. The plant is fine, bu I haven't seen a single bud yet. What do I need to do to get it to flower? Should I move it outdoors?
    I also have a 'Glory Bower' which is blooming profusely for the first time. They press beautifully!
    As a flower presser, I am anxious to try the Ugandense also!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.sonshinecrafts.com