Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boom_to

Pandanus Leave Problem

boom_to
16 years ago

Hi all,

I bought Pandanus plant last summer. Over fall and winter I kept it indoor. The only problem that it had was that the plant had white fluff. I'm not so sure what the pest is. I showered it with water and added worm castings to the soil. It lost a lot of leaves also.

I am leaving it on my patio now as the weather has been warm approximately 50-75 degree day/night. It gets morning sun.

Now the leaves are dry, take a look at the picture. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

{{gwi:1307367}}

Boom

Comments (27)

• bananafan
    16 years ago

I grew mine for a year or so. Over the winter of 2005, I brought it indoors. The condition looked exactly like your plant (with tips of leaves drying up). Unfortunately, mine didn't make it. The whole plant just dried up and died. I might have been a little careless in not bringing it in when the weather got colder. In any case, I think this is not an easy plant to handle for me in my zone. Perhaps yours might do better in your zone. Maybe, let it stay indoors a little more until you're sure it's safe to bring it outside.

The white fluffy stuff might be aphids. I used to grow African violets a lot and they often got them. I would wash it out with soapy water and it seemed to work.

• boom_to
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Bananafan, I just brought the plant in. I hope it is survive as I see new leave shooting out. I think I will put it out when the tempt. is in 60 degree to be save. Love it fragrance, Boom

• birdinthepalm
    16 years ago

I could be mistaken , but looking at the undersides of the leaves , which I can partially see, it does look to me like you have a serious spider mite problems with them, and that very fine speckling and yellowing on the undersides of leaves is sort of "tell tale" with spider mite damage. Normally you'd also notice the fine webs associated with severe infestations though. Any of that?

• boom_to
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi birdinthepalm,
    No web and no spider mite but, I think, it is aphids. I just took the plant outside and spray every inch of it, especially in its hiding places between leaves, with water added baby shampoo and olive oil. And, I found a few brownish plum insects.

Have a look at the link below, the white fluff that I mentioned earlier is a protective coat of white waxy filaments (#8). The information on the link is very useful. Now, I know why ants love my plant, actually apids, so much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apids

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Boom, do the white bugs move? Are you sure it isn't mealy? Mealy look like white cottony clumps that sit in place..they're destructive little critters..
    I see why mealy would like Pandanus, since there's numerous places to hide.
    Soil should dry between waterings, don't keep it soaked. Though I allow soil to dry out, I do spray leaves..In summer, it's set outside and brought back in when temps are in the 40's/50's. As long as soil isn't muddy, cooler temps are okay..(not freezing) Toni

• boom_to
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Toni, probably it was mealy. I sprayed the plant throughly with soapy water. It was very hard to get deep down into between leaves. I'm sure that I found at least one soft brown mealy covered with white fluff. I hope there aren't anymore of them left. The plant looks much healthier now. I hope the bugs are gone. It is shooting out new leaves. I moved the plant indoor and cut all dry section of leaves. I still need to wait and see. Thanks,

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Boom, of all plant bugs, mealy are the worse. You may need to apply either soap or rubbing alcohol on your Pandanus a few times to make sure all bugs are gone. And here I thought Pandanus were basically bug-free..
    I understand it's difficult cleaning between foliage considering their sharp edges.
    Continue checking for insects..and if possible, remove ruined leaves..they won't return to their normal color.
    Can you place yours outside in summer? They do appreciate a summer outside. I've a 13 yr old green Pan, and a 2 or 3 yr old variegated someone from another forum was nice to send me.. When mature they're really something to look at..have you ever seen a big tree? Toni

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    16 years ago

You may have to use a systemic to prevent mealies in the future.

• boom_to
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Toni, I still haven't seen any signs of trouble from the plant.

Wow! I'm so surprised that you have 13 yo. Pan. in IL. How did you protect them from cold temp.? Have you kept it indoor? I wonder if you have the same cultivar that I have. Pandanus amaryllifolius that I have doesn't have sharp edge leaves and I use its leaves for Thai cooking.
    Yes, I plan to put it outside in summer.
    No, I haven't seen a big tree.
    You could get pan. leaves from some Asian market also.

Dave, what is a systemic?

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Boom, I'm glad to hear your plant isn't showing signs of trouble..That's terrific.
    How did I keep it so long? When I first bought my Pan at Home Depot it was just a little thing..about 1'. I set outdoors in summer, and placed in sw windows in winter..but as time went on and it grew, I had to find a new location since it took up half the window..Now I keep it on a pathway, down the stairs in an east window in winter, but still summered outside in summer..
    I keep it planted in a well-draining soil, (potting mix, sand and some perlite) I spray leaves about once a wk, and they really perk up during rain in summer.
    My Pan has sharp edges, but I've seen pics of the one you have which is gorgeous..I almost ordered one last summer, but they were super expensive..(S) Also, there's a space issue..
    Systemic's are insecticides placed on soil then watered. The chemical is taken in via roots up into plant to rid pests. Good luck...Toni

• nikkers
    16 years ago

I just had to mention that my mother had the same kind of pandanus in IL. She got it as a small rootless offshot. When she sold her house, she had to leave it behind because it was too big to transport. It was 8 feet tall and about 5 feet wide. It lived in a corner of her dining room for at least 15 years. Needless to say, she had a green thumb. There is a yard in Ft. Myers where they have several huge clumps of this pandanus. They grow beautifully under tall trees.

Jo

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Jo, that's too bad your mom had to leave her Pandanus behind..
    I've two types, green w/red edge, bought in mid 90's and a variegated that's still young..Maybe 2 yrs and started from an offshoot.
    Do you remember what size pot your mom had hers in? My green is in a 22" or so..
    It's stated that Pandanus grown in containers never heighten over 4'..Ha! Your mom proved them wrong..Toni

• myzahra
    16 years ago

hopefulauthor :

Hi I'm hoping my new little Pandan will do as well as yours. I just wanted your advice on the watering. Should I allow the soil to dry between waterings? Should I treat it as a succulent (as I read somewhere it's a succulent)?

Many thanks.
    MZ

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

MZ, yes, allow soil to dry out, otherwise it'll rot..Treat as a succulent..when soil feels crumbly, then water..
    Sometimes bottom leaves tend to droop..it happens when 1. soil is kept too dry and 2. w/age of plant..
    Mature Pan's I've seen had 'bare bottoms.' LOL..This is a normal process..
    So far, my variegated Pan hasn't lost any bottom leaves, but it's still considered a baby..about 1-1 1/2' tall..Whereas the taller has lost some bottom foliage. Good luck, Mz...Toni

• watergal
    16 years ago

I have 3 enormous ones in a building lobby that I care for. They are probably 6 feet across and 8 feet high. The grow pots are maybe 14" but they are sunk in big planters several feet across and I'm sure the roots have grown into the planters by now. They have spiny, thorny edges, worse than a wild rose or a cactus, which makes them a real pain to care for, but they do look really cool. Although with their size and the spines, I'm waiting for someone to poke an eye out and sue!

They seem to have a low grade mite infestation most of the time but so far it's been manageable. Definitely keep on the dry side.

• zach_zone9
    16 years ago

Hello all,
    I just joined today. I am in California.
    Can someone kindly tell me where to buy a plant. I don't
    want to use frozen leaves. I have been looking for this
    plant for years...
    Thanks,
    Zach

• myzahra
    16 years ago

Zach
    there is one going for auction now on ebay. This is where I bought my mum's plant and they are really nice. I just got another for myself last week. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it but the item number is 170126076611 and it's got 5 days til it ends. Otherwise maybe you can find a nursery nearby. Here in UK there is absolutely no way you can buy this plant.

hope it help.
    MZ

• myzahra
    16 years ago

Watergal,hopefulauthor,

thanks. I just told my mum where she was going wrong. We really don't want to lose this little one. Thanks again.
    Mz

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

No problem, Mysahra..especially if it's impossible buying in UK. Believe me, I know how you feel..I wanted one for yrs, then one day at a hardware store called Home Depot, there were 2 sitting on the floor..I grabbed one up fast..LOL..home it came w/me, in 0 degree temps..no bag..I was furious they didn't offer to wrap this guy.
    So, treat it as you would a succulent, and it should do just fine..good luck, Toni

• myzahra
    16 years ago

Zach

There are more on ebay now and you can buy it now. Item # 170126645140.

In fact anybody that wants one, the guy on ebay has planty shipping them from Thailand.
    Hopefulauthor: so much for the long search eh? ;)

• myzahra
    16 years ago

Hi

I got a new bigger pandan plant last week. When I received it, it was healthy, had a piece of damp gauze wrapped around the root. I planted it in 50/50 grit and compost, left it a couple of days to settle in then watered a little bit just to dampen soil. It's all downhill from then. Leaves turning brown, looking limp. I took it out of the soil and have cut the brown leaves off and now I'm wondering what to do next.
    The person who sent it told to plant it in compost or leave in water (apparently that's what ppl in Thailand do). But you guys with big healthy plants have said to keep it dry.
    What should I do now? I don't want to lose it because it came to me so healthy and I feel quite bad that it's ill.
    It's still a good size and the root has two "knobbly" shoot type things sticking out-these were there already.

Help please.

MZ

• myzahra
    16 years ago

Hi

So my plant died. That's three in total and like a fool I have bought another one. I have put it in soil in a pot on my window. I am in the UK and would be interested to know if anyone has managed to grow Pandan successfully in UK.

Please tell me, should it have humidity? Should it have a lot of heat? I know it should be kept dry but what temperature is best for it? Please help me keep this one alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks.
    MZ

• boom_to
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm sorry MZ. There are significantly different in temperature between Thailand and UK. I'm still very novice in gardening however I was told that Pandan will die in cold weather so I was reccommended to put mine indoor in the fall and winter. In Thailand, the tempt. is about 35C and very humid. I don't think keeping it dry is a good idea as pandan grows near lake or river. I wonder if it is about soil. Do you have well drain soil for it?

• jonyl
    13 years ago

I was looking for info on pandan care too, found some stuff that might help.

'Pandan usually grows in tropical weather. It takes plenty of care and attention. If you are growing them in winter or in colder places, you need to cover them from wind and rain and donÂt water them too much  they may start to suffer below 15 deg. Some die not only because of the cold but because of receiving excess water. You can shade the plant from wind and rain with a cloth and be sure not to get water on the crown of the plant. Watering once a week is good with seasol clost to the base of the plant.'

Here is a link that might be useful: pandan link

• jeici
    13 years ago

I just received mine from Thailand. The seller is very helpful. My plants came kind of "turning yellow" due to the long trip. I just planted 1 in a pot, another one outdoor and some in a vase of water. I will let you know which one is going okay in my next update. I live in California.

• asisah
    13 years ago

I have information where to get this plant. If you are interested, please email me. ntvasn38@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler