Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
prune shell ginger?

Posted by topsiebeezelbub z7 Al (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 13:03

My variegated shell ginger is pitiful after a winter indoors...should I cut it way back or stake up the wimpy branches and live with the brown tip leaves until it puts out new canes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: prune shell ginger?

prune them, they grow back pretty quick with lots of sun and warm temps

o

• Posted by lac1361 z9a Lake Charles, LA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 8:39

Understand that this ginger flowers on second year growth so if you cut the stalks off, you will not see blooms this year. If the stalks are still producing new leaves, you could trim the ugly leaves off the stalk. This is the time of year here on the Gulf Coast when Alpinias start to produce flowers.

Steve

o

"they grow back pretty quick with lots of sun"

I thought this was a shade plant?

Thanks,
Carol

o

my mom has had a shell ginger for over 10years here in Houston, its been growing in full sun, i spreads fairly fast and needs to be cut back every few years. her's isnt variegated tho, so may be a difference.

o

some extra info

http://www.hawaiiantropicalplants.com/ginger.html

Alpinia zerumbet Common Name: Shell Ginger. The green leaved form is more robust and blooms readily. Blooms are more abundant in the summer and fall. Full sun to medium shade.

Alpinia zerumbet Variegata Yellow and green striped foliage. The variegated form is mostly grown for the ornamental foliage. The green leaved form is more robust and blooms readily. Full sun to medium shade.

o

went to my parents' house earlier this week. noticed their shell ginger had flowered. i asked my mom if it had been pruned or not. she said my dad cut them down during the winter, b/c of frost damage. a few months and they grew back and flowered. those are about 4' tall now, by mid summer they'll be about 7-8' tall.

my mom got a piece of root from a co worker almost 20 years ago, i remember planting it. about 7-8 years ago i dug out about half of the root system b/c it had spread too much in the flower bed.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here