Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Palm tree ans tropical plant placement

Posted by Marcv76 Southern California (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 14:01

Hellow everyone. I am trying to give my front yard a tropical feel. I currently have three queen palms. I have been thinking about giving the queen palms to a friend and replacing them with Foxtail Palms because they will grow to a more proportional height for a one story house. I then wanted to mix in some ti plants and variage large leafy foliage and a Plumaria. Does anyone have a opinion on what you would do with this front yard? Should I keep the queens where they are and just add to them instead? Maybe the height contrast of different palms would be better. Im looking for stuff that would also grow up higher than the wall to form a privacy barrier. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Palm tree ans tropical plant placement

Hi
How do foxtails do in your area?? They are far more sensitive than queens and get larger and more dense at least in my area. They are self cleaning unlike queens
I think I'd keep the queens and underplant with crotons.
A gazillion forms and colors to chose from and can be kept at any height. Plumerias can get very large ,are deciduous and difficult to prune Maybe a standard Crane flower, bird of paradise?? Strelitzia reginae. They clump in a very tight circle ,evergreen and have those fantastic non scattering flowers. gary

o

The queens are fast growing and nothing quite looks like a health queen for a beautiful tropical appearance. Given that, like Gary said they are NOT self cleaning and have to be trimmed which becomes increasingly more difficult as the tree continues to grow.

I loved my queens while I had them but I swore the next house / time around I would never plant any palm that was not self-cleaning.

I also had plumeria in the front of the house and 6 months of the year they were bald sticks, the other 6 they were covered in rust. I like them but on the side or back of the house.

o

I would keep the queen palms and plant something smaller so you have varying heights. Pygmy dates would look great.

o

You probably need to look around and see what's growing well in your area and that suits your plans. You could end up with a lot of suggestions but some of them might be impractical for some obscure reason.

o

triangle palms might be a better option than foxtails. They like a Californian climate.
Check this out http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/23082-the-darold-petty-garden/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here