Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gulfblvd_gw

Gloriosa Lily - Help!

gulfblvd
14 years ago

Bought my first Gloriosa Lily! Kept indoors for now as it's too cold in Chicago still. The vine/leaves have been droopy, but as I've read, they don't like to be disturbed, so I figured the trip to the Lowe's was stressing to it. Had it 3 weeks and this last week the leaves are yellowing and dying. I've kept the potting mixture moist. What am I doing wrong?

Comments (6)

• bihai
    14 years ago

I have only ever grown these outdoors in the ground. They grow from tubers that look a little like long white fingerling potatoes. Here, they go dormant in cool weather and come up in spring, grow and bloom all summer long, then go dormant again. I am not sure if temperature is the only trigger for them, day length may also be. Yours may think its already time to go to sleep again.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I'm in zone 7 and also allow mine to go dormant over the winter. It's in a container but I keep it cold (above freezing) over the winter. It puts out new growth once the temps warm up significantly. They do better when planted in the garden but I always forget to dig them up in the fall.

I'd stop watering it and allow the soil to dry some between waterings. You might want to make sure that the tuber isn't rotting and that it's in a well draining mix. It sounds like it might have been over watered. More plants are killed, especially indoors, due to over watering. It's better to under water then over water. Good luck.

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    I also only grow them outdoors so not much help They certainly could be yellowing from the reasons stated but many tropical plants go dormant in spite of the temps. So it could be a signe of recycling ?? I suspect that cold is NOT required but I'd bet a dry period is??
    My cold period corresponds with the dry period so mine are always exposed to both factors at the same time.
    Might look up the area from where they originate and check on the temps rainfall what have you??
    They could be just entering a dormant period so allow them to dry and the info would give you an idea of the duration?? I know for a fact that they are fairly adaptable for sure!!! gary

• gulfblvd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies. When I got the vine, the leaves were very green, but droopy. There were dead/dried blossums still attached, so it may have been at the end of it's cycle. I did discover that the pot it is planted in was inside of another pot that had no drainage, so this is most likley the culprit of the yellowing leaves. I removed the no drain pot and am letting it dry out. If it is going dormant - How long of a dormancy is needed before I can get it growing again from your experience? Were going into the warm/hot waether here, so I'd hope I can get it to grow this season. Thanks for all the information! Take care!

• eristal
    14 years ago

I just posted this in reply to your question in my original post on this plant. Here it is again, in case you didn't see it:

Okay, these plants need to be treated a specific way. First off, disturbing the bulbs when dormant is fine, as long you are very careful not to break them, as they are fairly brittle. Otherwise, it's no biggie to transplant them into different pots or divide them out, (as they will multiply over time.) What you need to do is let the soil completely dry during the winter, and keep them from frost. We put our planters in the garage, though you may be too cold for that. A closet in the house would likely be fine. Then, when all danger of frost is gone, bring them outside into sun, and water them well. They will come back up from the rhizomes. My guess is that Lowe's bought them from a place that had them in much warmer conditions. So... you bought them while they were growing well, but due to your climate being too cold, kept them indoors, which likely has too little light. Even here in California, ours are just starting to come back up, and we can put them in "mostly" full sun. Unfortunately, I think my advice is going to be less than satisfactory for you. But, here it is anyway: Put them in the brightest spot you can indoors until it is warm enough to put them outside,(45 degree minimum would be a good time to start). Place them in full sun thereafter, until fall, when frost danger comes again. You may not have them recover this year, and if the stems die back all the way to the ground, cut them off. However, if you keep them dry as I suggested earlier throughout the winter, you will likely have success next year. Hope that helps!

Eric

• gulfblvd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Eric for the re-send. And to everyone who provided info. I pulled the corms out of the pot to inspect that they were not rotting from too much moisture - they(2) look healthy and fine and I was careful to not disturb them. I've let the potting soil dry considerably as it was not draining well. I'm going to cut back the vine growth as it's next to dead, if not dead. Weather here is just now getting past the colder temps at night, so once I repot the bulbs I'll place them outside and see if they manage to show me some new growth, or if I'll have to wait for next year (following your storage info - I've got a nice cool basement they can winter in.) Do you fertilize them with any thing while growing?
    Thanks