Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Lady Papaya - help is needed

Posted by dancinglemons 7+ (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 3, 09 at 16:33

Hello all,

I am in Virginia Zone 7 and want to experiment with container growing Papaya. I have decided on Red Lady because it is self-fruiting.

Does anyone know about a dealer of seeds

HENDRY CREEK HIDEAWAY LLC
Palms and Native Landscape Plants
Fort Myers, FL 33908

I found them on the internet but also found on the internet some 'warnings' about unscrupulous papaya seed dealers. I do not have room for 2 trees and wanted the Red Lady because it is supposedly dwarf and self-fruiting.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Lady Papaya - help is needed

I don't know about this company.
I buy my Hawaiian papaya seeds from Aloha Seed company.
They have Red Lady under medium fruit. They say Red Lady is 50/50 (female/herm ratio). So if you plant only 1, you have only a 50% chance of getting fruit.... Plant 2-3 in each pt and when they are old enough to tell if they are hermsor females,keep only 1 herm.
But as per the seeds, I get almost 100% germination from them.

o

ray and gwen - finally I am understanding. So, if my single plant is female - and the flowers are dropping - it is because i need a hermaphrodite plant nearby. But I can't tell if i am getting one till it flowers. Since I purchased my plant - should I not go back to the same place since all of their plants are probably female?
Sorry this is just so confusing.
I have a 5" tall plant now, should I be starting a second from seed or what?

Thanks!!!!

o

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 17:07

Rule of thumb is to have 3 plants and you will be sure to have fruit.

o

From seed it's a bit like a lottery, only chances are better. All the same, your chances still aren't 100%.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here