Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltecato

Tricolor dracaena?

ltecato
16 years ago

I just got an unlabeled plant I'm hoping to place in a shady part of my garden. It looks like a dracaena, with leaves about an inch wide. What makes it interesting is that the stripes running down the leaves are three colors. The center stripe is dark green. There's two stripes on both sides of the center stripe that are a a pale yellow-white. Finally on the outside edges are two lime-green stripes, a distinctively lighter shade than the center stripe.

Can anyone ID this? Is it possible it might be a cordyline?

Apologies for not posting a photo. I still haven't figured out how to do that on this site.

Comments (10)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Dracaena marginata "Tricolor"

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

I too considered marginata but the poster doesn't mention pink..BTW, Fawnridge, your marginata is beautiful..what's its height?

It's possibly your plant is a Cordyline, but there are two other possible Dracaenas..D. Warneckii, (dark green and light green leaves. I've seen differnet versions of Warneckii..Mine has dark and light green center and cream edged. Leaves of Warneckii grow firmer/don't hang.
    The other is Striped Dracaena..(sorry, I dont know its botanical name..Mine grows strange. It has several trunks..ironically, each trunk bears different colored foliage..some have a green center, edged with white, others white centered, edged with green. One trunk is strickly green.
    Too bad you can't post pics; (I have the same problem, LOL) it be easier to ID.
    Do you have a website? Toni

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Toni - mine has been in the ground for 9 years, it's over the roof line at around 15'.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Fawnridge, I bet your tree is spectacular..I tried checking out your website, but my computer is giving me problems, it wouldn't let me open it..
    In your opinion, do you think pink/green grows slower than green w/red egde? (Marginatas) I'd love seeing a full picture of your marginata. All 15'.
    I've been looking around for the red leaf..found one at, of all places, PetsMart..(petstore) Plants are kept in fish tanks..after potting w/other Marginatas I think it died..either died or lost its deep red color due to lack of sun..Toni

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Toni - Here's a link to the garden. The Main Page has music, so if you have a slow connection, you might not be able to access it.

My mistake, the Tricolor is only 9' feet tall, the D. marginata "Red Edge" is the one over the roof line. (Long day yesterday.)

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Fawnridge, your garden is beautiful!!! I love your plants..You certainly have put a lot of effort gardening..living in Fl helps, too..LOL..
    Do you have the red leaf Marginata? If you found one, or have one, (I didn't see it among pics, going to check back and look at each individually) (S) that'd be one beautiful tree.
    Your home is gorgeous too..it's huge..
    I've read Fl's soil is sandy..does that mean the entire state of Florida has sandy soil or certain parts? If it's all sandy, when you garden, do you have to add other soils for individual plants?
    For instance, say you plant a Gardenia, what type or do you add mediums to acidify the soil? The reason I'm asking about Gardenia is, a frined lives in Fl..(don't know what part) She's thinking of adding two 'denia's to her garden..She asked if I knew what she needed to do..LOL..I grow Gardenias in containers, but that's way different than growing in a garden..
    Anyway, going to go back and look at your pics..Again, they're adorable..You've done a terrific job. Do you weed, and how often do you prune plants? Thanks, Toni

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Fawnridge, finished going over each pic..All I can say is WOW..your palms and Crotons are truly amazing..All your plants are.
    I notice a body of water nearby..Is it a man-made lake?
    I've a few questions if you don't mind..
    In the second pic on page one, what is the plant with pink flowers? Nearby is a Bromeliad, gorgeous..
    In pic 3, there's a plant w/red spikes/flowers, is it Ginger?
    Your Fan palms are huge and beautiful. The trunks amazing. Huge trunks makes a palm..You'd laugh at my pitiful palms growing in pots..LOL
    I also love your Ctantanth..spellings wrong, but you know which plant I mean...? relative of Calathea.
    Your pathway looks serene, peaceful, heading into the unknown..
    On the first page, pic 14, what's the white flowered plant?
    In pic 15, a palm is growing. The bottom looks like a fan, the top different..what is it?
    Is the tree Acacia or Mimosa? maybe something else..
    Also, is that a fig on pic 21? Something in the Ficus family?

Your Song of India and Bromeliads are huge, vibrant colors..On page 2.
    Pic 6 and 7, there's a little plant with yellow flowers..is it Crown of Thorns/Euphorbia?

Your Alamanda, think that's what it is, on the last pic of page 2, is stunning.
    Fawnridge, you're lucky living where you do, count your blessings..I was born in the wrong state..LOL..My parents didn't like flowers or growing any type of plant, so I don't know where my love of growing greens derived.

There's one plant, page 1, pic 17, that may or may not be, I can't recall its botanical name; the common name is Caricature Vine or something similar..Would you happen to know its name? Thanks...I enjoyed viewing your pictures..
    If you have more to share, please post them..Toni

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

I notice a body of water nearby..Is it a man-made lake? - Yes. They call it a lake, but it's really just a retention pond. Good bass fishing though.
    In the second pic on page one, what is the plant with pink flowers? - That's one of the few plants the builder put in 10 years ago that we've left. Ixora "Nora Grant" - a very popular shrub amongst the builders. Most trim the crap out of it and never really get all the flowers.
    In pic 3, there's a plant w/red spikes/flowers, is it Ginger? - Red Button Costus. Most of that has been removed as it spreads too quickly and has to be dead-headed two or three times a year. The flower (not the red cone but the tiny white and yellow flower that comes out of it) is edible.

I also love your Ctantanth..spellings wrong, but you know which plant I mean...? - Ctenanthe oppenheimeramia

On the first page, pic 14, what's the white flowered plant? - White Mussaenda.
    In pic 15, a palm is growing. The bottom looks like a fan, the top different..what is it? - Beccariophoenix madagascariensis - Window Palm.
    Is the tree Acacia or Mimosa? - Which tree?
    Also, is that a fig on pic 21? Something in the Ficus family? - Yep. Turkey Fig.
    Pic 6 and 7, there's a little plant with yellow flowers..is it Crown of Thorns/Euphorbia? - Yep, Thai Hybrid Crown of Thorns.

There's one plant, page 1, pic 17, that may or may not be, I can't recall its botanical name; the common name is Caricature Vine or something similar..Would you happen to know its name? - Graphtophylum pictum - Caricture Plant or Jamaican Croton (it's not a Croton, though.)

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Thanks Fawnridge..I truly enjoyed viewing your garden. Not to be nosey, (much, lol) do you also grow plants indoors?
    The tree I mean has ferny foliage. It looks like Mimosa or Acacia. It's beautiful..I wish, deeply wish, we could grow such trees/plants, here (outside)
    Plants go out around May and brought in Oct-Nov, depending on the plant and temperatures..Christmas Cactus, Asparagus fern/relative 'foxtail/Ming/Plusmoia,' Gardenias, and some citrus are the last to come in during winter. Makes quite a difference when plants are outside in sunshine, humidity and fresh air..then brought in a semi-sunless, dry, (though I use humidifers, 2 indoor fountains, daily misting and wkly showering) LOL, from Nov-May.
    Anyway, I really love your garden, it looks so serene. How often do you update?
    Maybe one day, retirement? we'll end up in Fl/southern Ga, or some such warm area. Toni

• ltecato
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If anyone's still watching this thread, I found another plant like this in another nursery. This time it was labeled D. warneckii. So hopefulauthor was right on.