Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Breadfruit COLD Tolerance?????

tropicalzone7
14 years ago

What is the coldest temp a breadfruit can handle without damage. I just bought one and I know that they have absolutely no chance in a winter here, but I was wondering if it can go outside with all my other tropicals. Right now all my plants are out for the year and the coldest temp of the month has been 42F. Even my coconut has been outside and was growing in the heat spell we had, but I know breadfruits are a bit more tender than a coconut palm.

Heres the forecasted LOWEST temps (F) for my area for the next 10 days...

42;44;46;49;50;54;53;51;51;51. High temps for the most part are in the 60s and 70s but a little below average on many days with high temps only being in the low 60s.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help you can give me!

Comments (7)

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! Ill keep it by a warm and sunny south facing window until may when temps should met that criteria.

I think this plant will be challenging, but Im really looking forward to seeing how it does.

• User
    14 years ago

It's not an easy plant. Better luck with its kin--jackfruit! Good luck!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I heard its a pretty hard plant to grow outside of the tropics, but im up to the tropics. I think it will need lots of good care to get it to grow here, and maybe some heavy pruning just to keep it small enough to go back indoors for as long as possible.

Thanks for your help. Good lucK!

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

goodluck

i have two seeded breadfruits, i will be giving them winter protection here.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mango kush... I was reading some things on the internet about breadfruit, and with protection, they can grow to a pretty nice size in southern florida (as long as something like this past winter doesnt happen again for a long time). Some looked like they were almost fruiting size, but Ive never heard of one actually fruiting. If I lived in Southern Florida, breadfruits would definitely be on my list of tender plants to try.

Good luck, hope it works out well! I found a really hot sunny spot to put mine that is also very humid, so it should grow really well (at least until it goes inside for the winter). I figure I have from may until about early (maybe mid) october for my breadfruit to go outside because temps rarely go in the 40s at night in that time period. Then while indoors Im going to mist it often and keep it by my sunniest window away from the heat

Thanks for your comments and help, I cant wait until it comes in the mail!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just got it today. Looks healthy, but its still a seedling. You can actually see the seed. I wasnt sure if I should leave the seed exposed or not so I covered it a little, but not much at all. It has roots that go about as deep as the plant is tall (which is about a foot tall). This thing is going to break the pot its in in no time if it survives! Its not cold outside, but some nights in the upper 40s are in the forecast so for now it stays indoors by a sunny window. In about a week or 2 I will probably be confident enough to take it out for the summer.
    Wish me luck!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio