Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer1_gw

Has anyone's Musa Basjoo returned in the North?

jennifer1
16 years ago

I live in St. Louis, MO and me and many people I know planted Musa Basjoo's last summer. They are supposed to be winter hardy to -20 degrees. I mulched mine fairly heavily and others more. None of us have any sign of a returning banana plant. Is it too early? Was our winter too hard? Does anyone have any experience with these in the Midwest or North?

Comments (6)

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Hi Jennifer..It's still too early.. Have you removed the mulch? If not, and temps aren't likely to drop under 38F, lift mulch. It needs sun to grow.
    I grew a Basjoo years ago..it came up, 3 years in a row, I believe, around May..I'm north of you, IL, so mine was bound so sprout a little later sprouting. But the neighbors tree maple grew tall, and my poor banana wasn't getting enough sun. Plus we had an exceptionally icy winter, and I don't think I added enough mulch. It never grew. I recently ordered another Basjoo, as soon as it's warm enough, it's going in a brighter area in the garden.
    Give it another month, Jennifer. Toni

• ohiojay
    16 years ago

Hi Jennifer,
    I'm in Ohio and mine are just now starting to peek out thru the mulch. I had mulched heavily and then covered with a plastic tarp. I then spread straw and covered that with the other half of the tarp. Was all that necessary? Not sure. The year before we had temps that dropped to -20 and not all of mine recovered from that. You should see some evidence of them soon. Just when you think they've bought the farm, they will surprise you! So don't give up yet.

• glaswegian
    16 years ago

I have 2 basjoos that I bought a couple of months ago. They've grown a lot since then and keep throwing out new leaves every week and a half.

When I put them outside to harden off, I notice that the leaves droop. Aren't the suppose to love sun?

What am I doing wrong here, surely it's not the water am giving it?

• nyssaman
    16 years ago

Glas...night times may be a little cool yet for them.. bananas are most comfortable in the high seventies...I would keep them in until mid may.. they may be going through a little temp shock.. stick them out only on the warmest days for only a couple of hours then bring them in. you are taking them from house or window light to full sun this will shock them a wee bit and they will have to adjust...when the weather is consistantly warm stick them out in light shade for a couple of days.. gradually introducing them to the brighter light. I would not worry about the drooping leaves.

Jeff

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Glas, it's probably temp and sun...yes, they're definately sun lovers, but even high-light plants need to acclimate..Once they're in the garden, pop up in spring, they'll adapt. You won't have to do anything.
    But a new plant should be taken out gradually..It's best taking out on cloudy days, when rain is predicted.
    Your Musa will adapt. Toni

• kelly6780
    16 years ago

I live in Jackson, MO (southeast MO) and mine came up about two or three weeks ago. Then last week an additional two came up. I now have four. They should be up soon for you!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!