Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tony_la

Anyone grow giant horsetail plants in So Cal?

tony_la
18 years ago

I recently purchased a giant horsetail plant and am wondering how it might fair in the ground in Southern California. I had seen it grown in greenhouses at a botanical garden and the full grown plants are very impressive. I believe the plants were over 10 ft tall with whorls of small branches (just like the drawings with dinosaurs). Any info would be great.

Comments (14)

• tony_la
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The plants are labeled Equisetum myriochaetum. I purchased the plant at a nursery in Santa Barbara. I do not have the name of the nursery with me, but can get it off of the reciept in a few days.

Thanks for any info on cultivation in So Cal.

• eveningstar
    17 years ago

I haven't grown it, but I saw Equisetum myriochaetum on my trip to Veracruz last year. I was impressed. I imagine it could do well here, if you can protect it from our dry winds, and keep it in a moist situation.

That nursery must have been something! :-)

E~*

• florey
    17 years ago

Giant horsetails, the thugs, on steroids? Be mighty careful where and how you plant them, & let us know if your house disappears (LOL). They are so Cool looking!

• baci
    17 years ago

I suggest a pot. I grow another variety of horsetail but I use a pot. They can become very invasive & hard to get rid of in the ground. They also reproduce by spores, although mine has not so far. Horsetail does not like transplantation, but once established does fine.
    I believe the one you specified is native to Mexico so it should do OK.

• debbysunshine
    17 years ago

I went to google and looked up that plant and it is huge and looks to get pretty evassive. I have huge plumes which I've tried to control many times but their seeds just blow everywhere and they take over and I never want to see another evasive plant.. Maybe in a large pot you can control the spread of this plant because I bet it is really nice looking by itself..

• eric_9b
    17 years ago

Anyone know of a source for giant horsetail? It is hard to find other species other than E. hymale and E. scirpoides.

Eric
    Orlando,FL z9b/10a

• sputnikfarm
    17 years ago

I just saw some form of horsetail at Green Mart in Orange a couple of weeks ago.

• unautre
    17 years ago

"looks to get pretty evassive"

so they are hard to find and get a hold of?

• baci
    17 years ago

I saw a giant horsetail growing in the Rancho Santa Ana botanic garden in Claremont recently. It was about 6Â tall or taller, and was growing in the ground near a pond. It was invasive, but did quite well in the So CA climate. Since they grow natives it was probably Equisetum telmateia - Equisetum myriochaetum is native to Mexico.

• seven
    17 years ago

I would be very interested in buying an Equisetum giganteum or myrochaetum! Does anybody know a source were one could get some (nursery, botanical garden)? Like toni 1a wrote, may be there are a few nurseries selling some!

• mdnez_ent_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I have a contained wetland pond in da Marigny Triangle of New Orleans and need a Equisetum Telmateia to complment a recently rescued old cycad. Anyone selling?

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

I've grown them in a greenhouse-they will never become impressive in pots..not unless you use huge 36" or more.They need much root run. I wouldnt worry about them being too invasive in souccal..they need lots of water. Where you dont water is a natural barrier. They are great companion plants for tree ferns and Gunnera,aroids like Colocasia and Alocasia. In the Berkeley Botanical Garden greenhouse they have E.gigantium..and its a show plant.

• sven_budik
    6 years ago

Hi, Tony You can purchase Equisetum gigantheum El Tabacal from Chile at Plant Deligth Nurseries (https://www.plantdelights.com/collections/equisetum/products/equisetum-giganteum-el-tabacal) it is cold hardy to -5°C (origin frm Chile)!