Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

Is this a Jade Vine seed????

bihai
16 years ago

My Jade Vine is over 5 years old and has bloomed the past 3 years. To my knowledge it has never had any seeds.

A few minutes ago while doing some cleanup in the greenhouse, I found this. I think its a Jade Vine seed. Its attached to the bottom of an old bloom raceme. I looked around, all over the vine at the other old spent racemes and couldn't find any others, so this seems to be the only lonely one.

I have never seen a Jade Vine seed and can't seem to locate photos. But I can't imagine what else it could be. It weighs 6.2 oz and is the size and shape of a small mango.

When will it be "ripe"? Is it a single seed, or a "pod" with lots of seeds inside??

Please advise!

{{gwi:770307}}

Comments (8)

• laurietx8
    16 years ago

Certainly looks like a fruit to me. Here a picture of one I found on the web. I don't know anything about these vines, it sounds like the fruit is pretty darn hard to get, so congrats!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jade vine fruit

• bihai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW!!! The one at Kew Gardens took 32 YEARS to set seed? And they pollinated it themselves??

I wonder what pollinated mine?

This is so weird. I guess I will just make a little harness for it like theirs and see what happens.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Congratulations! Maybe you could contact someone at Kew Gardens or possibly Strybing Arboretum. I'm not sure if they have a Jade or not. It's been a several years since I've been there. Keep us updated and good luck.
    Karyn

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    Wish I could help you lol. Have no experience with either type of jades. Hasn't Fairchild produced viable seeds from theirs?? Might drop them a post??? gary

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

friggin cool!! Must of been the work of those nocturnal garden/greenhouse gnomes lol. That link said scientists had to pollinate thiers..I think I read somewhere that certain bats do it in the wild.

• aroideana
    16 years ago

Gina , it sure looks like a single seed pod of the Jade Vine .. I got several larger pods on a mature vine at a nursery I worked at a few years ago . Birds visited the flowers all day and may have pollinated them . Pods will turn a darker colour and split open when ready .. very easy to germinate . Some pods had 3-4 seeds in them . It is not a common occurence in cultivation , I have not heard from eny other growers around tropical Australia . Though one very knowledgable lady told me , it seemed that it was an undesirable trait to get one that set seeds , as she had found the flowers lasted a much shorter time .
    She had paid $100 for one of the first seeds brought into Australia many years ago .

• bihai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow. I wonder what in heck pollinated it? I mean, being inside the greenhouse, there's not much chance for "creatures" to get in there, although, during the very first stretch of 80 degree temps we had in March, I was working in there with the doors open, and a bumblebee and what looked like a red wasp did get in and were flying all over the place. The bee kept dive bombing me, like he was saying, "Show me the way OUT you miserable human!" Every once in a great while a stray butterfly will also get in...I suppose that one of these could have pollinated it, the vine was blooming profusely then.

This was a raceme of flowers that was hanging down very low, brushing the ground. I fact, I only found the pod when I was on my hands and knees scooping leaf debris out from under the vine, this spent raceme with the pod came out. It was laying on the ground. Maybe the spent flowers just kind of fell onto each other and it happened? Its a mystery!

It will be cool to see it progress and see how many seeds it has, and to try to germinate them. When I saw it, I was definitely confused. I have seen the actual seeds of "sea beans", which I understand are in the Mucuna group, and had thought that if my plant ever had seeds they would look like those right off the bat, it never occurred to me that they would be inside a seed pod, DOH! Just Homer me now.

• mrsrisakwoods
    10 years ago

I know this was posted a few years ago but was wondering what happened to seed pod. I've heard that it's actually bats that pollinate the seeds!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths