Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do Philodendron bipinnatifidum flowers produce heat?

Posted by ahuehuete 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 18:42

Hi.
Ive had this plant for a long time, thinking it was a Monstera deliciosa. It was static for lots of years, but then, when I moved it to my new house, it seemed to like the new location, and boosted its growth, producing these strange flowers. They last for just one day, start opening in the morning, and closing next. A warm temperature can be detected from afternoon, but when night comes, the spadix heats up a lot, releasing a strong though pleasant smell. When the flower begins to close, the spadix produceshairy stuff, apparently pollen.
I made some research and the most logical explanation I found was that heat was reflected to the spadix by the flower. But they heat up until night, and not when sun falls on them.
Can someone give me a better explanation?
I dont include photos because I dont know how to paste them here.
Thank you so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do Philodendron bipinnatifidum flowers produce heat?

Hello...to put pix on here open a free Photobucket.com account, upload your pics to the site from wherever you store them on your PC using their upload facility, copy and paste the 3rd line of info (the HTML tag) that appears under the uploaded pic when you move the cursor over it into the message box on GW, click on the preview facility to check all is ok.
Hope this helps!
Interesting question BTW, hope someone responds.
Gill.

o

Thanks for the photo help!
Someone answer.....please.

o

• Posted by mrao77 TX US zone 7 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 21, 09 at 23:48

Here is a link that explains aroid pollination very well, and if you scroll down the page you will see why and how the heat that you describe is being produced.
Hope this helps.Please copy/paste inot your browser if the link doens'nt work.
mrao
http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Natural and artificial pollination in aroids.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroid poillination

o

Oh, now it is all clear!!!!
Thanks!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here