Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! Cordyline trouble!

Posted by panamajack 10 (cmventura@gmail.com) on
Fri, Apr 16, 10 at 18:58

Hi peeps! About a month ago, I purchased a gorgeous Hawaiian Ti Plant, with vivid pinks and dark burgundy colors. It was originally grown under a shade house. I purchased it from HD, where they had it inside their greenhouse (WHY, WHY do they keep all their tropicals inside so much shade!!!!)...so I started by slowly acclimating it to the full sun (I live in Santa Monica, CA). Now it's in full sun and it is bleaching and developing burn spots on some of the leaves. I know the plant is still alive and not doing all too bad since there are new leaves coming up. I know these grow in Hawaii's full tropical sun, so I'm assuming they can grow in CA sun as well. I will have to prune the ugly bleached leaves. Will the new leaves be acclimatized? I'm keeping the soil moist, but not wet or soggy, just enough so it doesn't dry up (our current temps are in the upper 60's to low 70's).. don't want to lose it, it's right next to a King Palm and a croton and I just love the texture and color it brings. HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! Cordyline trouble!

My ti plant is in the exact same situation as yours and also came from home depot. Im just letting it do its own thing. Some of the leaves are getting a little brown, but Im just keeping them on until the next leaves come and accumulate to the sun. The weather hasnt been very sunny here for the past week which might be helping it accumulate better. Just keep it on the moist side and wait. Once summer comes it should be used to the sun and looking much happier.

Good luck!

o

Here in sunny Florida cordylines do best in partial shade. (Even the varieties that are bred for full sun) Full sun bleaches and burns them. Ti's especially burn in the sun from water spots. I might suggest moving plants to less sunny location. If you can't, try to water from the bottom.

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 17, 10 at 0:30

Mine are not in full shade, but they only get indirect sun, I have 2 planted on the north side of the house. In the heat of summer, it's 105+ here, several leaves got burned at the edges. Now they're looking good again. I keep the soil kinda moist, not soggy, and mist them a few times a week. I fell in love with the Ti plants, along with Croton, when I went to Hawaii last year. Unfortunately, all my Crotons died, they couldn't take the winter cold in my area (Bakersfield), the Ti did fine in the cold months. I think they thrive in HI because not only of the warm temp, but HIGH humidity as well. So try misting the leaves.

o

I am in FL too and keep mine in morning sun, afternoon shade. It seems to bring out the best color in the ti's. If I keep it in too much sun the colors sort of blanch out even when they are aclimated.

o

This variety will not take the full sun, like other cordylines.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here