Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Alocasia question?

birdsnblooms
16 years ago

My friend won an Alocasia on Ebay. I believe it's an Alocasia Amazon (African Mask) or closely related.

When the plant arrived, it bore a fading flower. She said the flower looks bulbous..

Does anyone know if alocasia flower is a seed? If so, is it fertile? Will it germinate? Is there anything she needs to do? Also, if it is a seed, is it one big seed, or does it need to be split, w/several seeds inside?

I'd appreciate help. Thanks you, Toni

Comments (4)

• bihai
    16 years ago

Its usually not a seed, just an old flower.
    But many alocasia do self (as in self pollinate) so sometimes you do get seeds. If it does ripen into a seed pod there will be many seeds inside.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Bihai..so should she open the pod? to see if there are seeds inside? Also, how can she tell if they're ripe? Sorry for all the questions, but she's so exited, I'm hoping for her sake, her bloom contains seeds instead of a barrem, dead flower..Thanks, Toni

• bihai
    16 years ago

Usually if its fertile it will kind of pop open and you will see the seeds (that's what mine do). The seeds I have collected before were orange in color.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Bihai..I'll let her know..She can open the pod? check what's inside..if there's seed so be it..If not, maybe she should sow the bulb see if it sprouts.
    Besides the seed question, is it better removing the stem flower has grown on? In other words, if she leaves it on, will nutrients focus on the faded flower?
    For instance, like Clivia/Kafir Lily..you know how they say to remove the old flower stem? How it interfers with next years flowers?
    Thanks again...Toni

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022