Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

Artabotrys hexapetalus

bihai
15 years ago

Okay.

I've been growing this plant for 5 years now. It came to me as a small plant, about a foot tall. For well over 18 months it stayed that way. It did NOTHING. I moved it a couple times, thinking it didn't like its conditions. In the 3rd year it finally decided it was happy, and it started growing. It shot up from 18" to about 14 feet, which is where it is now.

It had never bloomed, but today I noticed that it IS blooming, at about the level of FOURTEEN FEET. The flowers are way up there at the very top, and apparently have been there unnoticed for some time, because there is now a cluster of seed pods up there too. I will have to get up on a ladder to harvest them, or to smell the flowers.

So it appears I am going to get seeds.

This is an expensive plant. I noted on the website of the "plant place in So FL that can not be mentioned" that they sell 1-3 gal for $60. So I don't want to ditch this plant. But I want it to be more manageable.

I am considering topping it after the seed pods ripen and I collect the seeds, and trying to root what I take off the top.

Is anyone else growing this plant, that has one anywhere like mine? Have you topped or severely pruned yours? What happened?

Mine is not a vine, and it's not "shrubby". It looks just like a Cananga odorata TREE except the leaves are different and the trunk seems more succulent. I know its NOT a Cananga Odorata because I also have one of those. How do I get it to be a "shrub" so that I can enjoy the flowers at a lower level??

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!