Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

Cananga odorata

bihai
15 years ago

I have an Ylang Ylang tree that is about 12 feet tall. It has been doing well until recently. First it developed an infestation of what looked like the tiny black flyspeck scale. I sprayed it several times with Neem Oil and that seemed to help. Then it developed an infestation of mealybugs. Again with the Neem, but it didn't seem to help.

Leaves started to yellow, and fall off a few at a time. Then whole BRANCHES of leaves denuded.

I used the Bayer Tree and Shrub on it, and it didn't help. I sprayed it with Isotox. It hasn't helped. I tried the coffee ground mulch. That hasn't helped.

I don't want to have to remove the tree, but I can't have a constantly infested tree either.

What should I try next?? Should I severely prune it and let it "start over"? Its never bloomed yet for me and I don't want to lose the opportunity.

Comments (4)

• minibim
    15 years ago

How long are you waiting to see results? The imidicloprid(Bayer) has always worked really well for me, but it's not instant. It will be like a month before you start to see positive results.

While you're waiting for the systemic to kick in, the all out assault topically, almost has to been done everyday. I do find it's easier to apply the systemic and then cut the tree down to the ground. I can't tell you how many times I've done this with Hibiscus.

• bihai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Maybe I am not waiting long enough then for the Bayer. I thought it would take effect faster. I guess I will keep up with the Neem, I hate to spray Isotox too frequently...maybe Neem a few days a week and Isotox once weekly?

I was thinking about doing the coffee SPRAY...has anyone actually tried this? Tom Broome wrote a piece about coffee and cycads and said that a coffee spray made using "re-cooked" already once brewed coffee grounds was very effective on scale and mealies. I was thinking of using Cafe Bustelo freeze dried coffee granules in a Miracle Grow hose end sprayer. Any comments on that?

I'd really like to see if that works

• minibim
    15 years ago

Yeah, the imidicloprid comes out in new growth, so you're still battling the scale while the growth is coming. I don't like Isotox either. What I have found that works really well is the soap and water, BUT,, I'm using flea shampoo for soap. I figure, it's safe enough for a dog and it's somewhat "natural" using pyrethrins. It's been really effective on spidermites for me and I think it is actually killing the spidermite eggs, since I'm not battling them as heavily this year.

I'd probably try the coffee spray, but luckily this year I haven't had a scale outbreak - YET! - but it's early. I have been using the coffee as mulch piled on a couple inches thick around some veggies I grow. ...and I have to say I think it is definitely keeping the whiteflies and powdery mildew at bay. The coffee also works really well against raccoons, slugs and snails. I put it around my Broms and it keeps the raccoons from eating them and I pile it around slug attractors like Taccas and it keeps the leaves looking perfect.

• lzyjo
    15 years ago

I have a sago with scale, I searched for the Tom Broome article, but I couldn't get through to the link at the Orlando Sentinel. I also searched for the article at the Cycad Jungle website and I didn't find it there either. Does anyone know to proportions/method?