Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petrushka_gw

NOID similar to dieffenbachia? lemon-yellow

petrushka (7b)
9 years ago

any idea what this plant is?
it has a stem cane just like dieffenbachia, but i googled and cannot find any with such coloration. or even such elongated leaves.

Comments (8)

• birdsnblooms
    9 years ago

Hi Pet.

You plant resembles Spathiphyllum 'Mauna Loa.' ML is one of the largest Spaths around, unless a new species was cloned.

There's a golden Spath so it's possible your plant is MLxgold...sorry, don't know botanical name. Toni

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hi, toni!
    i know spathes well. they don't have a cane like diefs.
    i cross-posted in fl forum: have additional description there.
    it has a stalk (mature cane just like a dief) that is 2-3' tall.
    it can't be a mauna loa, i don't think so.
    here's an additional pic of a stalk. silly me i thought i took a very clear pic! the cane is barely visible at the bottom.

Here is a link that might be useful: cross post in fl forum

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

just for comparison i found a pretty good pic of mauna loa.
    leaves are quite similar, i agree. but ML grows in a thick clump, quite wide. and no cane that i've ever seen.
    but i do have them in one of the office buildings next door, i'll go and have a careful look.

• birdsnblooms
    9 years ago

Morning Pet,

Aw, your plant has a trunk..

Sorry, I didn't see the trunk, so I was wrong..Not a Spath.

What about Philo, Monstera or Anthurium?

There's some mighty large Anthurium around..I don't have any, 'too big' but I've seen photos.

I can check if you'd like.

Pet, one thing I noticed...they're coming with so many 'golden' plants of all types..Have you see them?

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

it's not a birds nest anthurium - i know those. the crown is very typical. this one does not have a crown at growth point.
    and i have never seen phylos with such venation. though if've seen trunks on old large phylos.
    the dief cane is very characteristic and this plant's cane is unmistakably like a dief.
    but coloration on diefs is never that plain yellow-flush.
    and the leaves on this plant are way too long for a dief.
    they are as long as giant anthuriums though.

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i've searched some more by images and am thinking that this is some local mexican dief. it seems there are species growing in central america that look very similar.
    a few candidates are d. longispatha and also d.parlatorei.
    it's in a hotel planting, so obviously available thru local mexican nurseries.
    it seems the leaves can become lighter in very good light. so may be it's not normally that yellow.
    that's as close as i got so far:).

• birdsnblooms
    9 years ago

Pet, whatever, it's quite unique.

I love its large, gold foliage.

The trunk looks like Dieff or possibly, Aglaonema.
    Thailand has Ags like none you've ever seen..Amazing foliage, coloring and sizes. Mini to gigantic, thin to thick trunks.

I give up. I checked different sites, couldn't find a plant remotely close to your plant.

There's a nursery that specializes in Aroids, though I can't recall the name. I attempting getting on GWD, but the site will not load.

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

toni,
    this plant is in mexico! i don't know if they have thai ag's there, but normally they plant fairly common tropical plants, NOT imported from afar. just guessing though.
    there is a mexican indigenous dief. oerstedii that looks very similar on the link below only green. but other sites show totally different plant under the same name(shorter leaves and a white stripe in the middle). i would tend to think that most likely it's the local d.oerstedii, but who knows...

Here is a link that might be useful: central american D.oerstedii