Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Alocasia 'Hilo Beauty'

birdsnblooms
15 years ago

Hi. I won an Alocasia 'Hilo Beauty' on Ebay. It looks nothing like the picture as fas as size. This new Alo has 2 teeny-weeny leaves, less than 1", and a third about to unravel.

Living in IL, it's difficult, but not impossible keeping Alos and Colos. I have a 3 yr old Alocasia, and two, 1 and 4 yr old Colocasias. They'll never be show specimens, lol, but thriving. The thing is, the older alo and colos were established when bought. The new Alo is a baby. Does anyone have any suggestions on care? Light, humidity, soil, fertilizing and repotting? Do I keep in its 2" square pot or repot in something a little larger? How much light does it need. One alo and one colo are in the upstairs bathroom adjacent a west window. Light is bright w/some direct, but not enough to burn. Unless a plant sat on the window ledge, there's very little actual direct sun. (I don't intend keeping on the ledge, unless someone thinks I should.) Humidity is fairly high since 5 showwers are taken daily, (one for an iguana, lol) daily misting, and some plants are set atop pebbles in trays. They're placed outside in summer.

Does anyone know how tall this Alo grows, and is there anything I can do to speed up growth? Thanks so much, Toni

Comments (25)

• bihai
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Its been a point of contention for a long long time now whether Hilo Beauty is actually an alocasia at all. Its my understanding that most people now think it may actually be a caladium species (someone jump in and correct me if I am totally in error).

That may be why your Hilo Beauty is still only tiny in early spring. They seem to go dormant in fall just like caladiums, and re-sprout from bulbs just like caladiums.

I have them planted out in the ground in several places in my yard, and they do NOT emerge until the ground is really, REALLY warm (like caladiums), usually in mid-May.

This is not a large growing plant. The largest mine personally have ever gotten is about 2.5-3 ft. They seem to do best in very bright broken/dappled sun for me, and do like a lot of water, but not standing water.

If I were you, I would give the seller a heads up that perhaps you may be considering at best a neutral feedback. Then I would leave the plant in the 2.5 inch pot until it gets larger. Maybe give it some houseplant fertilizer every other week. When its large enough to repot, step up slowly, letting it fill each pot size before going to the next.

I wish you luck, but in the houseplant situation, I wouldn't expect all that much out of this plant. If you can grow it outdoors for any length of time at all once its warmer, you might get a head start on NEXT YEARS growth in terms of the bulbs multiplying and increasing the mass of your plant

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bihai..Don't tell me Hilo Beauty is a Caladium. Darn. I choose this plant out of two, both sold as Alocasias. In fact, I chose the one I bought because of size, (like you said, it only yets yay tall; in winter plants are kept indoors. I'd NEVER buy a Caladium, they don't live long.
    I already left 'positive' feedback. I don't like leaving negative, unless something arrives dead.
    Bahai, are you 100% it's a Caladium? If so, I'm going to write the seller..For one thing the size is unbelieable, so if it's a true Caladium and NOT an Alo I either want a different plant, or a refund.
    I've tried growing Caladiums before, and though they lived 'outdoors' in summer, they don't make through winter..(indoors, they're not hardy in IL) Although they're pretty foliage plants, that's NOT what I wanted.
    Thanks so much..If you know of a source or hopefully more people will chime in..like you said, Bihai, you're not totally positive, (I pray you're wrong, (S)) Toni

• bihai
    15 years ago

Toni,
    as I said. "Its been a point of contention for a long time".
    I don't think the "official" taxonomy of Hilo Beauty has ever been established by the aroid gods.
    It demonstrates characteristics and qualities of both an alocasia, and a caladium. It has been sold as an alocasia, and a colocasia. Hilo Beauty has been around for quite a while.

You writing the seller would have absolutely no affect on anything. I am certain the seller has never done any genetic testing on Hilo Beauty to establish its true make-up, so how would they know?

Hilo Beauty is most commonly sold as an alocasia in the plant trade, but, it has been speculated for years whether it is actually a caladium, perhaps related to or descended from Caladium bicolor, which is the major species caladium that many hybrid caladiums on the market have as a parent.

NO ONE KNOWS, but I remember hearing aroid people talk about Hilo Beauty being "quesnionable" as a true alocasia as many as 10+ years ago.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Bihai..After reading your post, I researched 'Hilo Beauty' on Search the Web. Apparently, scientists have no idea if Hilo is an Alo, Colo or Caladium.
    Including AK University, ppl who have done studies. Apparently, they're even unsure where it originated.
    One site led me to an old GardenWeb thread, the original poster asking whether or not Hilo is an Alocasia or Colocasia. LOL.
    BTW, AK University said, the Hilo doesn't flower, which makes it almost impossible ID'ing.
    You said you have a garden filled w/Hilo, did yours ever bloom?
    I want to thank you for the information. I would have thought the Hilo was dead come fall/winter. I'm assuming it's deciduous, right? Being indoors, do you think foliage will die back? I'm sure it will if it's a Caladium. I've grown Caladiums in/outdoors, and it never fails, come short days, foliage weakens and dies. I'll know more in autumn, but I'm hoping leaves live, even though it's bound to go dormant..
    I'll follow your instructions on care and fertilizer. Though I've no idea which fert to use and I don't have any bulb fert..I wonder if All Purpose will do? I plan on cutting dossage in half, especially since we're talking a 2" plant..sheesh. Thanks again, Toni

• edleigh7
    15 years ago

Its actually a Colocasia now, I believe. Mine will take some sun, but not in the middle of the day.

Ed

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL...thanks everyone..so it's either a Colo, Alo or Caladium..I'm hoping you are right Ed..I haven't any problems with Colo's, a little more difficult w/Alo's, but forget Caladiums.
    Ed, do you have the Hilo Beauty? Indoor or outdoor? If so, does it die back in winter? I don't mean go into dormancy, does it literally lose all its leaves? Thanks, Toni

• edleigh7
    15 years ago

My mistake, it is actually a Xanthasoma, and yes I do have it. It is just coming into winter now, so I don't know if it will go dormant in winter yet. And it is outdoor, but I live in the subtropics. You can see it here http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34376

• sooth
    15 years ago

All my Hilo Beauties are in full sun till about four o'clock in the afternoon. I had to acclimate them to that spot, lol. They're watered daily starting spring dry season in the morning; not so much in wintertime and not daily during rainy season (c'mon rainy season!). In my front yard, they're in the ground, not a bog or anything like that. Just decided one day to try it, last July that was, and so far so good. They didn't go dormant this past winter season, just only slowed down in growth.

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    I grow mine in a flowing water marsh garden. Did fine when first planted but is now getting heavy shadowing from
    other growth. Funny lol it was sold to me as an "aquarium"
    plant. Knew better than that but always thought it was a marsh type. I find most of the families can be grown in many different situations. I have even grown Caladiums in standing water, where they come up earlier and go dormant earlier.
    Had always thought since it's called "Hilo Beauty" it was a hybrid?? gary

• aroideana
    15 years ago

Ed , could not believe how much tuber growth I got from the tiny offsets I planted out only a year ago . They have grown from pea sized up to nearly the size of a lady finger banana !
    Not much leaf , but the full sun and constant rain and fertilizer has got them really pumped . When the Malay Apple matures and gives a bit of canopy that bed will look a real treat .

• bihai
    15 years ago

My Hilos are just now emerging. Always the last of the aroids to pop back out, but they grow pretty quick and manage to catch up to everyone else.

• rockysth1
    15 years ago

does anyone have any hilo's for sale , I have one I bought 2 years ago ,it never got really big , this winter I thought it died I just left the pot alone, and in the spring I found a nice little corn in the soil still alive , I planted it , but it hasnt come up yet, it is really a nice plant.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rocky, if mine were larger, I'd give you a corm or division..but it's only a baby with 4 little leaves..LOL..Perhaps it'll grow by autumn..if you can't find one by then, and mine multipy's, I'll send you a corm..
    Don't give up hope on the corm you have. Sometimes they take a while..what type of light is it in? Was the corm firm? If mushy, it's probably a goner.
    Also, keep an eye on Ebay..Toni

• exoticrainforest
    14 years ago

According to an article on page 126 in Aroideana. volume 32, 2009, the plant known as Hilo Beauty is a Caladium rather than an Alocasia. An article written by Dr. Wilbert Hetterscheid he explains the species is relatively new to science and was never properly identified. The correct species name is Caladium praetermissum and its own origin and nature is still unknown. All references to this plant being either an Alocasia or a Xanthosoma do not take into consideration the requirements for that genus.

This plant does not fit the genus Alocasia but does fit the genus Caladium. From the Kew's CATE Araceae the requirements for the genus Caladium are:

Distinguishing Features: Tuberous geophytes; leaves usually peltate, blade often variegated, cordate-sagittate, sagittate or rarely trisect, fine venation reticulate, inframarginal collective vein present; spathe strongly constricted, blade withering immediately after anthesis, tube persistent; spadix fertile to apex; flowers unisexual, perigone absent; male flowers forming a truncate synandrium, pollen shed in monads. Differs from Scaphispatha in spathe tube always convolute at anthesis, well developed sterile flowers between male and female zones, stylar region as broad as ovary (Caladium paradoxum has discoid, coherent stylar regions), placentas 1-2 (-3), parietal to subbasal.

It appears the name Alocasia Hilo Beauty dates back to an incorrect entry in Graf's Exotica.

Aroideana is the journal of the International Aroid Society.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Exotic..I started this thread on 4-08. In the past, when I'd purchase Caladiums 'for outdoor gardens,' they grew in spring/summer, then went dormant in fall..

Since day one, my Hilo never went into complete dormancy. It stopped any new growth, but its foliage was alive.
    That is, until this past December..the foliage died back entirely. There's no sign of new growth..all I that's left is a pot of soil..lol..
    I wonder if it'll grow back or if life over for this beautiful, colorful plant.

The Hilo is now available at most nurseries, and still coined Alocasia. It's possible they call it Alocasia because Alo's aren't as hard to keep as Caladiums..'in cold climates, anyway.' Can't say how they do in warm places like Fl or Ca.

Sounds like you're familiar with Hilos. Do you know if they are bulbs or corms? I don't know much about caring for bulb/corm plants..in fact, out of all my greens, only two are bulbs..Amazon Lily and Mini Amaryllis.

Should I start fertilizing or wait? Place in a sunnier spot? At the time, my Hilo is adjacent to an unobstructed, west window..Bathroom. If you have suggestions, I'd appreciate the help..
    It was last fertilized, summer of 2009, with Fish Emulsion. It's getting the same amount of sun my Colocasia and Alocasia 'African Mask' have lived several years..

If you have the time to reply, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again..Toni

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    14 years ago

My Hilo Beauty last year died back all the way to the ground. I thought it was dead but it came back totally. Same thing this year except this year I found out a bunch of fungus gnats went psycho in my gh eating bulbs, tubers, and such so hopefully it will be one of the ones that made it lol.

• exoticrainforest
    14 years ago

All aroids produce tubers. In horticulture the three terms tuber, bulb and corm are used interchangeably but there are scientific differences.

I've seen all sorts of aroids sold as "bulbs" and corms but the science books say otherwise. I'll do my best to keep this simple but some of the explanation is tough.

A tuber, bulb and a corm are all stems. Most people think of the stem as the support of a leaf but that part is called a petiole. Leaves are technically made up of two parts, the petiole and blade. Some people find it confusing when they read a scientific text and find "the stem is the support of the leaf". That is technically true but only if you understand the petiole is part of the leaf.

A stem is the support of the plant. The definition would go something like this: The base, central axis and main support of a plant normally divided into nodes and internodes. The nodes often produce a leaf in the axil of which they produce roots and hold buds which may grow into shoots of various forms. The stem's roots anchor the plant either to the ground, a tree or to a rock. A stem may even spread as a repent rhizome creeping across the soil. May either grow above ground, underground or partially above the soil. Specialized stem forms are called a corm, tuber or bulb.

A bulb is an underground storage structure used to store starches and water. A bulb is a condensed stem usually with a basal plate and fleshy storage leaves surrounding the bud that will form the next plant. It is composed of thick modified leaves arranged in layers that are used for food storage.

If you want to see the inside of a bulb slice open an onion since an onion is a perfect example. The term bulb is used far more commonly in horticulture but should is not used in relationship to an aroid, at least by a scientist. Most people probably won't but if you did you could see an onion is not like the tubers that grow from an aroid.

A corm is similar to both a bulb and a tuber but still different. The corm is an underground stem to which the above-ground parts of the plant may die back in the dormant season. It often stores starch and when it regrows foliage will come from the top and roots from the base like a typical stem. There are no true examples of a corm in the aroid family.

My friend and scientist Christopher Rogers wrote the following to further describe a corm: "a corm is composed entirely of stem tissue. It is literally just an underground stem. It has an epidermal layer, a vascular cylinder with phloem and xylem and central pith. A corm can also be a starch storage organ, but it still has true stem tissue. This is why a corm has the new foliage growth coming from the top and the roots coming from the base. Corm examples are Crocus, Cyclamen and Gladiolus." Define phloem and pith

The xylem is a plant tissue of various cells that is capable of transporting water and other substances including mineral salts to the leaves.

A tuber is a strongly condensed stem as well as an underground structure which is almost entirely a starch storage organ. The buds for future growth and the roots all develop at the apex (top) when the tuber sometimes forms as the tip of a stolon. Stolons are stem runners or stem shoots that run atop or just under the ground from a plant. Stolons possess the ability to produce new plants from the buds along its length or at the apex (tip).

Christopher explains further, "A tuber is just parenchyma (with some vascular tissue). It has an epidermal layer with some subdermal vascular tissue, and all the rest is parenchyma." Parenchyma is the primary tissue of most plants which is composed of the thin cells which form the bulk of leaves, roots and other plant parts.

He continues with his explanation of a tuber, "It is almost entirely a starch storage organ. This is why the foliage and the roots all come from the top. Most plants with tubers have them borne on stolons, but that is not necessary. In Amorphophallus, Arum and Typhonium for example, the stem tissue is all encased in the small bud at the top of the tuber. That bud grows upward into a leaf or two, and outward into roots, with the tuber beneath. Other tuber examples are potatoes and Sinningia." Xylem is a network of hollow cells found in a plant's vascular system that transports water and soluble nutrients collected by the roots.

Sorry to be technical, and I suppose there is nothing wrong with calling a tuber a corm or bulb but if you talk to a scientist they will likely frown if you use the wrong term.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Exotic, "I'll do my best to keep this simple," Second paragraph/sentence..LOL.

I will reread your post, then Google some words for definitions ...'phloem' 'xylem,' 'pith,' and then some.

Exotic, are you an author and/or scientist? If not, perhaps you should consider writing a technical plant book for the grower/farmer, interested in chemistry.

I have one question..are you saying 'all' Aroids, 'Philodendrons, Spathiphyllum, Arums, etc, 'all' plants in the Araceae family,' produce tubers? Perhaps I'd best look up tuber..When I hear the term tuber, I vision potatoes and Dahlias..

BTW, I don't know many scientists, so you needn't fret if I'm frowned upon calling a bulb a bulb, a corm a corm or a tuber a tuber..lol. Hope you have a sense of humor???

Obviously, you are well-versed on the study of plants, but the average Jo or Mary, here on GW, myself included, ask non-technical questions and 'usually' get non-technical answers.
    I respect your knowledge, Exotic..If I was familiar with chemistry as you, we could discuss/debate, terms and scientific facts..but I'm not..

In the meantime, I stil need an answer regarding my Hilo..Should it be fertilized? Placed in a shady or sunny spot? Thanks, Toni

PS. Exotic, I am not, in any way, shape or form, being sarcastic. Please do not read anything in my post, other than a little humor. Thanks.

• exoticrainforest
    14 years ago

I expected that.

No, neither a botanist or scientist. I am just a serious aroid grower with a large collection as well as an officer if the International Aroid Society. I am also privileged to have a bunch of friends that are aroid botanists, ask a lot of questions and try to take good notes.

The answer to your question "all aroids", according to a discussion on the International Aroid Society discussion group Aroid l, is yes. Provided the plant has an underground stem (tuber).

Many plants grow from an above ground stem or one that runs across the ground as a rhizome. Those that have an underground stem are called tubers.

That information was confirmed by several well known aroid botanists.

Again, my apologies but some things aren't simple. I did my best, and I do have a sense of humor. If the information is worthless feel free to disregard it.

As I said,"there is nothing wrong with calling a tuber a corm or bulb". I just try to answer questions with a scientifically accurate answer since I've read more than my share of inaccurate information on the internet. I also maintain the Exotic Rainforest website and frequently ask a group of 8 botanists to contribute information.

The bottom line is no aroid has a bulb or a corm. If I had just said that there would be a bunch of posts saying I didn't know what I'm talking about, and perhaps I don't. I just trust aroid botanists Dr. Tom Croat, Pete Boyce and several others.

I'm certain you'll find a bunch of writers on the net that disagree with all of them.

As for the book, it is about half written already. Maybe I'll figure out a way to finish it before I croak.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Exotic Rainforest

• exoticrainforest
    14 years ago

Left one out. Book author? Not yet, maybe if I live long enough. Writer? About 300 published articles in a bunch of magazines. Still doesn't qualify me to do anything other than more research.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

300 published articles is a he$$-of-a start; you've got your foot halfway through the threshold.
    Any author does 'more research,' before starting a new project, especially non-fiction. Heck, even fiction writers. Read Steven King's bio some time..Or his Non-Fiction book, On Writing.

Exotic...you wrote, 'I expected that.' Line 1.
    What did you mean?

Actually, I find the science of plants very, very interesting, (B)ut difficult..I admit, I lack knowledge in chemistry. This confession isn't easy to admit, but IMO, honesty is the best policy. There are very few people partaking in our conversation, 'I hope, lol, the least the best.

For the record. I asked if 'X' plant was a tuber, corm OR bulb..Three different, underground growths. Did you think I meant two? Ex: 'There is nothing wrong with calling a tuber a corm or bulb.' Your last post. I concider/ed them three different underground growths, not two.

Also, as I said above, the average person, buys a plant, joins GW, and inquires about its care. He/she doesn't want to hear/understand a scientific lecture..they want a simplied answer: sun, water, not to mention an exact day/schedule, (lol) and soil.
    Exotic, I am not, in the least, being disrespectful, please don't misread my comment.
    But if you're a regular (speaker or lurker,)of GW, you'll notice most posts, Tropical and other Forums, are written casually. I haven't been on every GW Forum, but assume most conversations are laid-back reads. Or maybe not??? Do you like a woman who knows her mind? lol

Exotic, you wrote, 'if you find the information worthless, disregard.' I do not feel anything you've said, worthless, and there's no need to apologize. The only problem is you're way over my head..lol..

I thought plants that run across the ground were stolons..Eg: Saxifragas, common names: Straberry Begonia or Strawberry Begonia.. Aren't runners with plantlets, stolons?

Ha, you'll find people who disagree everywhere, especially on the net, so don't fret. You coin a flower purple, Peron 2 calls it blue. The debate goes on. lol.

Shame on you, Exotic. 'Maybe I'll figure a way to finish before I croak.' Don't talk like that..

I'll check the Exotic Rainforest link, but have to go somewhere..I'll get to it later.. Take care, Toni

• exoticrainforest
    14 years ago

I used to teach photography for Nikon. I used to teach scuba and have certified quite a few divers (long ago). One of the teaching tools I always used was to leave some questions unanswered on purpose so my students would have to go dig for them.

I have nearly 300 pages on my website and try to explain just about everything but I sometimes purposely leave something unanswered in hopes I'll inspire people to buy a botanical dictionary and look it up, or go to several internet dictionaries and look up the terms. That's what I "meant".

Sometimes people don't "get it" and when they write I always give them the best answer possible. In fact, I have an article coming out in the next issue of Aroideana with definitions that are as user friendly as possible for some 130 scientific terms used with aroids.

All three forms, "corm", "tuber" and "bulb" are different forms of a stem. I tried to explain that above but sometimes I am not as clear as I'd like to be (at other times not completely clear on purpose) The bulb is like an onion........layered, but still stores starch. Starch is a food source for the plant.

The other two are primarily starch storage units but a tuber is strictly a starch storage unit. A potato is indeed a tuber, a starch storage unit.

All aroids produce only tubers according to all the botany books as well as personal conversations with several botanists. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

The problem is growers (and some writers) often don't want to believe the science and choose to use at least two terms, sometime all three.

All three forms are nothing more than underground stems. A rhizome is also a stem that runs across the ground. The central axis of any plant is also a stem, they are just different forms of the same thing. The term growers often use for the support of a leaf (stem) is not a stem at all. Instead it is a part of the leaf (the petiole). A rhizome is only slightly different from a stolon but is still a stem that runs either along or just beneath the surface of the soil

A stolon is a specialized stem. It is a stem runner or shoot that runs atop or just under the ground with the ability to produce new plants from buds along its length or at the apex (tip).

If you enjoy learning about such things I suggest a good botanical dictionary such as the Oxford Botanical Dictionary. It is usually cheap on Amazon.com. If you are really serious then buy a copy of Stern's Botanical Latin. Much more complicated but since it has lots of illustrations it can be easier to understand in the end.

If you're interested in aroids I suggest Deni Bown's Aroids, Plants of the Arum Family. Much of what I attempted to explain in the above can be found in that book.

My ultimate recommendation is to join the International Aroid Society. We have tons of information on the IAS website but some of it is only available to members. Membership is $20 per year but you'll receive our annual journal Aroideana plus four newsletters.

How was that for a sales pitch? Oh yeah, I serve as the corresponding secretary for the IAS.

My email address is easily found at the bottom of my homepage and I spend much of every day trying to help growers find answers. Feel free to write anytime.

As for writing, I write for some one almost every week. Many of the articles I do now I do for free simply because I enjoy writing. Others I make a bit of cash but I still consider myself retired. The book is a very long term project because there is a great deal to learn and understand before I dare put it all in a book form for collectors. Besides, I still have to con another botanist or two to proof it. One has already volunteered so someday I just might get it done.

Steve

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Steve..Sorry it took so long to reply but things have been hectic..I have a sick cockatiel, 'mother of numerous chicks,' and a 10-yr-old English Mastiff who's been to the vet several times the last two wks. Running back and forth to vets, among other errands and things to do.

Yesterday, I was in a hurry..my Hilo is kept in the upstairs bathroom. While reaching for the towel, my hand hit the Hilo, knocking it to the floor!!! I didn't have time to pot in fresh soil, so I topped it off with felled soil..While refilling the pot, I looked 'hurriedly' for growth, any sign of green, but didn't see anything other than a pot of soil.
    I'm not 100% certain, but I believe my Hilo has seen its last days. Before discarding, I want to be 200% sure..
    "How was that for a sales pitch?" Very smooth, subtle..
    Ever work as a car salesman? lol

I'll have to think about joining the Aroid Society. A couple years ago, I joined the African Violet Society. Aside from gettiing a bi-monthly magazine, and I believe, 20% discounts on books pertaining to AV's, that's all I got out of it.. Oh, can't forget a 'reminder postcard' telling me my membership was almost over, so to continue membership, send more money.......

I couldn't find your website/homepage..where is it located?

Books..I have spent a good amount of $ on plant books. One I deemed educational turned out a vast disappointment. The book weighs a ton.. 'The American Horticultural Society, A-Z Encyclopedia.' More $ than I'd ever spent on any other plant book. It now sits on a bookcase collecting dust.

But, I am interested in finding your site. Perhaps it's best starting out slow, baby steps. What you consider 'User friendly,' might be Greek or 'Latin' to me. lol

Thanks for you help, Steve. I plan on jotting all the terms you've mentioned on this thread, then Google or Wiki each for definitions.
    Of course, this will take time, so it has to be done when I don't have to apply dog/bird meds, cook dinner, clean the house or water plants.
    I did manage to order more plants, 'IT'S MARCH.' 'no Hilos.' Today, I received a Theobroma Cacao plant..Before starting this post, I spent time looking for its care, but came up empty-handed. It's sitting inside the kitchen sink, bare-root, waiting to be potted. I started a new thread, hoping someone has this plant, and will offer help on its care..

Don't procrastinate..get to your manuscript! It will never be completed sitting on a shelf like my 5-ton plant encyclopedia.

Thanks again..Toni

• diane_v_44
    11 years ago

Today up in Canada, at one of the very good garden centres to be found, I came across the
    Hilo Beauty described as Caladium-Alocasia

It was marked down 75%. In a package that had been $16.95 per tuber or bulb or what one might call it

They do not look to good. Kind of dried up but maybe yet signs of life

I thought to give it a try
    Came home first thing and (it is night time and dark) took the two pieces out of their little plastic bag that had peat moss in each bag and put the tubers and peat moss in a bowl of water to soak overnight.

Now I have been gardening a lot of years
    Enjoy to do so very much
    Have a home in Florida the past 13 years as well
    So have learned two quite different garden styles.

I like things that are different and unusual.
    And that is good, as I do not have much room any longer for the run of the mill sort of thing. Generally speaking.

I don't care so much what the back ground of this plants is but it looks interesting in the photo on the package
    I do have some plants of this sort growing in Florida
    Some in pots that are watered by rainfall and in mostly shade.
    Some in the ground.

Was a lot of interesting coments on this forum about the plant.
    Some very learned comments
    Thank you
    I am going to pot it up with a mixture of good garden soil, packaged soil, peat moss a little extra of that and water well But initially water, maybe let it just take it easy
    See if there is life in the old tuber or not
    Keeping it in a light shaded spot.

Patience, one learns patience in gardening.

Will just see how it goes.
    But thanks for the educated comments on this forum

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Diane...Steve/Exotic was very knowledgable when it came to plants.

Don't know if/how well you knew Steve, but he passed away. He and I conversed and debated from 2008 until...
    I miss him so much.

RIP Steve.

Living in FL your Hilo should do well. It's truly a beautiful plant, whether it's Caladium, Colocasia or Alocasia.

If you're placing outside, 'unless it was outdoors when you made the purchase,' place in shade. Leaves will scorch.

I'm certain your Hilo will do better than mine. I tend to believe Hilo is closely related to Caladium, but that's conjesture.

Good luck, Diane, Toni