Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Epiphyllum help

Posted by epl_92 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 08 at 21:54

It looks like it is pretty sad so any ideas on how i can take better care of it or how to make it bloom... I barely watered it over the winter and have had it in bright indirect sunlight...also should i repot/prune it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Epiphyllum help

In winter I always water mine when dry. How long has it been in that pot? What do you do with it over summer?

o

Epl, it looks sunburned. Since you're in z6, your Epi's been indoors all winter. IMO, the area you set in is too bright, (for starters)
It's a nice-looking plant though. Maybe you should place in a little less sun for the time being. Toni

o

it has been in that pot as far as i know for its entire life and during the summer i put it on my deck and water it regularly.... How would i get it to flower next year?

o

You might want to prune off the dead parts of leaves. It probably needs re-potting, but that might delay the flowering for a year or two. It may need more water over the winter, since they should never be allowed to dry out completely. Fertilize in February/November with a 0-10-10 fertilizer. In March, start fertilizing monthly with a balanced fertilizer, like a 10-10-10, and no fertilizer December/January. Some epis will bloom in bright shade, but others do better with a few hours of morning or late afternoon sunshine. If you divide it into two pots, try both, and see which gives the best results. Epiphyllum are some of my favorite plants: east to care for, will put up with a lot of neglect, and have gorgeous blooms. Good luck with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Epiphyllum Care

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here