Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thedeedo

elephant ears (rooted and bulb)

thedeedo
14 years ago

I consider myself to have a green thumb, my house is full of all kinds of houseplants, tropical and more common varietys. I have recently had a struggle though with two types of elephant ears I have. I have a small rooted type that i got off of a friend who had it sprouting in the pot next to the larger one. I have had it for several months and I have seemed to barely keep it alive. It does not get very big, maybe the main stem and leaf only about two inches. The leaf starts to get brown and dying, and everytime it does a new little leaf sprouts off of it, grows a couple inches and does the same. Everytime I think its going to die another leaf springs up and takes the place of the old one and eventually does the same routien. Mind you its very small and does not get large at all before doing the same thing the previous leaf did. What am I doing wrong? Does this elephant ear variety need alot of sun or alot of shade? I have tried both. Should i let the dirt dry a little before watering or keep it constantly wet? Will tap water kill it?

My second question is about an mamouth elephant ear bulb i bought. I planted the bulb sidewayes because this is my first one and was told if I dont know which way is the up side on it, to plant it on its side. How long will this take to sprout? Its been a few weeks now.

Thanks in advance

Comments (4)