Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

canna from osh

Laurel Zito
13 years ago

I got a canna in a pot from osh with a pink flower and striped leaves. I took it home and it was potted in clay. I looked at the receipt and it said "water garden accessories bog plant", but it had no name tag. Should I water it more then my other canna? Is one type of canna more water loving then other types? I am worried about over watering. We have had a lot of rain. It does not look so good, it may be transplant shock.

Comments (15)

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just wanted to add, the receipt says water garden accessory,so maybe if it dies, I can not get it replaced? But, of course, if I planted a bog plant in non bog conditions then it's my fault if it dies. I could hypothetically water it daily, the pink flower is very pretty.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Orchard Supply Hardware They want to be known as initials, like KFC. If a plant dies and you bring the receipt you can get a replacement. I search on bog cannas, but did not find any information. I don't know if that plant is different from the other cannas.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am adding a photo of the canna. It looks unwell, but slightly better then yesterday. I am not even sure it's a canna, but it could be. But, it was not labeled.

Here is a link that might be useful: plant from osh pink flower bog plant

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found a similar plant. I found there is something called a water canna, not a bog canna. When I searched water canna, I found one with a similar flower. Mine has variegated foliage.

Here is a link that might be useful: pink water canna photo

• karyn1
    13 years ago

That looks like a regular canna. I think that most cannas can be marginal water plants. There's something called a Thalia dealbata which I've heard referred to as a water canna but it's not a canna at all. I found this old thread that might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: cannas as water plants

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I think all cannas have the ability to be partially submerged. I wonder if the reason why your canna isnt doing well is because of the canna virus. Its uncurable and can only spread to other cannas. Im not sure though because Im not sure about the leaves. Usually sure signs of a virus are irreguarly variegated leaves, flowers with spotches, dieing leaf tips (severely) for no reason, curling leaves, and lack of growth. Its very common which is why im asking. A few of my cannas had a virus and looked good for a little while and even bloomed, but later just got sick and declined. Keep an eye on it for signs of a possible virus and if it has a virus you can get rid of it, or at least alienate it from all other cannas (if there are any near by) and try to treat.

Also cannas love sun! As long as it has water and some humidity, it can handle a good amount of heat. They dont like shade and dont mind cooler weather if its not too moist and is sunny.

As for thailas, they can be grown as bog plants also. Ive only seen one by me (because its rare), but I live in a zone 7 and they come back without problems at all. The blooms are not attractive, but it is very cold tolerant and has some pretty tropical looking leaves.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will not compost it if it dies, and there are other plants in between. I don't think the canna is too close to other cannas. I thought my hostas had a virus, because they grew with twisted leaves, so I discarded all the hostas with deformed leaves. Later I thought it could have been spider mites or cold damage. I was kind of mad at myself for panicking and discarding those two hosta varieties prematurely. I think the plant is doing poorly because it was over watered in a pot with clay and rock on the top to prevent it from dying out. The leaf strips are natural.

I watered it a small amount today, because it is newly planted. I am going to wean it off a high water diet soon. Sometimes if you cut back on the water too soon, that is harmful. But, it think it is a water canna and may take more water then a regular canna.

Water canna are from a hybrid called Longwood created in the 70's. I found that info online. You just have to search for "water canna" instead of "bog canna", and the info comes up.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

That is interesting. I did know that there were some cannas that could handle more water than others but I didnt know it was siginicant enough to have its own common name. I hope that it isnt a virus, but in a few months, if it is a virus, you will know it for sure.

Good luck!

• struwwelpeter
    13 years ago

I got a canna in a pot from osh with a pink flower and striped leaves. I took it home and it was potted in clay. I looked at the receipt and it said "water garden accessories bog plant", but it had no name tag. Should I water it more then my other canna? Is one type of canna more water loving then other types? I am worried about over watering. We have had a lot of rain. It does not look so good, it may be transplant shock.

If it is Pink Sunburst,
    {{gwi:537639}}
    , then the answer to the first question is "no."

It is almost impossible to over water a canna. Those bottom saucers are usually filled with water.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the ID, it looks exactly like pink sunburst.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found a link with photos of the canna virus. There are side by side comparison here with an healthy leaf. Some of the damage could be rust, sunburn, cold burn, wind burn, lack of water. It is hard to tell if the damage on ones plants could be the virus or any of the above conditions. I have seen some local canna growing that now really look terrible, but I suspect the new owners of the house, stopped water them. They used to be the gem of the neighborhood. Now they look so bad that it make one never want to plant a canna after seeing them. I don't know if they have the virus.

Here is a link that might be useful: leaf comparison

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am now posting a close up of my sun burst canna leaf. If people think it has a virus, I will destroy it. I posted also a photo of another canna, I got from lowes in a baggy that I think definitely has the virus. The worst part, is the canna were in four in a baggy. Only this one sprouted, but I have planted the virus rhimzones canna in my garden and I will never find them again. So please look at both photos and give your opinion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sun burst leave close up

• struwwelpeter
    13 years ago

I am no expert on canna virus, but, to me, the blemishes on your Pink Sunburst leaf look like the results of normal wear, tear, and aging.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It got taken home in the back of a pick up truck and the wind blew the leaves around. It looked much nicer before I took it home. The dogs in the front of the car, would have stepped on it, so I put it in back to protect from trampling.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!