Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Anyone grow Agapetes?

mark4321_gw
11 years ago

I find there are almost no posts on Gardenweb about Agapetes.

Agapetes are fast-growing, easy to propagate shrubs (some somewhat vining) that are closely related to blueberries. They are generally epiphytes and many are caudiciforms. They have interesting forms and stunning flowers and sometimes fruit. They are available cheaply if one knows the right sources. However, there seem to be a lot of online sellers who inflate prices dramatically.

I was hoping to get peoples' experiences growing these plants as well as point out some good sources. I think the main limitation is that as mountainous plants, many prefer cool climates, and are often tolerant of some frost. As such, they are most grown in Coastal California and the Pacific Northwest.

I've grown A. serpens and A. 'Ludgvan Cross' both not long enough to bloom them (I had to give them up in a move).

During a short period of less than half a year, though, they grew considerably:

The plants were both about $10, from Strybing Arboretum (SF Botanical Garden) and Flora Grubb Gardens in SF.

I recently became aware of Bovees Nursery in Oregon, which specializes in Vireyas (tropical Rhododendrons) and sells several unusual Agapetes, all for $9.50. I bought two plants in bud (an Alba form of A. serpens, 'Nepal Cream', Agapetes hosseana, and a third in bloom, Agapetes smithiana Major.

Here are some very poor pictures of the plants in bloom:

Agapetes hosseana:

Agapetes smithiana Major:

Agapetes serpens 'Nepal Cream' (alba form, normally red):

Other good places I know of to buy Agapetes are Annie's Annuals and Pepper's (Accents for Home and Garden). I think both carry A. serpens. Grassy Knoll exotics I think has had both A. serpens and A. 'Ludgvan Cross' in the past. I know that many of the specialty nurseries in the Pacific Northwest carry Agapetes.

So I'm curious what other experience people have had with these or other species and if they have interesting photos. I am particularly curious how the plants do in areas with hot and humid summers.

Comments (3)