Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dolphinheron

Weeds in pea gravel yard!

dolphinheron
16 years ago

Greetings - this is my first post and I need help, please!

We just moved into a home that has a pea gravel yard. I've never dealt with that before. There are little weeds spouting up all over the place. A couple of weeks ago I pulled ALL those pesky weeds by hand because I really want to avoid herbicides (we live on a canal and I don't want to contribute to run-off) but now those weeds are back, and even worse than before.

What can I do? Must I use herbicide and if so, which is the "greenest" choice?

Thanks for all your expertise!

Comments (13)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    16 years ago

Do you have some type of weed barrier underneath the pea gravel? If not, you'll need to rake up the pea gravel and lay one down. That said, I have some weeds (thistle) that have the nerve to poke thru my weed barrier.

• lac1361
    16 years ago

The weed barrier will work for only a few years. Eventually, leaves, dirt, etc. accumulates above the weed barrier and weeds then grow in that medium.

I use a weed torch. It's a long curved handle propone torch. A small propane canister screws into one end. You light it and burn the weeds. It's also fun.

Steve

• dolphinheron
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There is no weed barrier under the gravel. And this yard is so big, plus we're renters, so of course I don't want to invest in a barrier. For my own yard in the future, absolutely I will do so.

Steve, I'm intrigued by this torch thing! Where can I find one, and how much do they cost? That sounds like a blast (literally!) and I'm sure I could entice my husband to help with groundskeeping if we had that little "toy" in the shed!

• lac1361
    16 years ago

I bought mine from Gardener's Supply Company at www.gardeners.com. About $45.

Steve

• msmarion
    16 years ago

This tool works wonders!
    Come join us on the Florida Forum.
    Marion

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here!

• barbcoleus
    16 years ago

Can you use this torch in mulch or just pea gravel.It sounds great.
    We're having a lot of trouble here with fires in our area so I don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water. I heard somewhere that vinegar works and also boiling water.
    Barb

• dolphinheron
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I've heard about vinegar or boiling water, too. But I read that the vinegar needs to be the strong kind for canning (higher acidity) not the kind you put on your salad! I'm going to try everything before I resort to herbicide so I'm just trying to put together an arsenal of ideas. Any other suggestions are welcome...

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

• lac1361
    16 years ago

The weed torch works in gravel beds, driveways, sidewalks, etc. It sets the mulch on fire unless you wet the flower bed before using the torch.

Steve

• dolphinheron
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Success! I found a product called "Perfectly Natural Weed and Grass Killer" at Home Depot yesterday. At 11 a.m. today I sprayed weeds in the back part of our yard and within an hour, most of them had started to shrivel. Three hours later most of them are dead. The others are still hanging on but are looking a pretty sickly. I think this stuff is going to solve the problem!

The only ingredients in this spray are vinegar, clove oil, and lecithin (apparently lecithin is an emulsifier) so I wonder why I couldn't mix some up myself... if I can find lecithin!

I will add that the clove scent is VERY strong - if you don't want your yard to smell like a spice cabinet, you probably shouldn't use this. But I kinda like it.

Just wanted to share this with all of you who tried to help me tackle these weeds without harming the environment. Thanks!

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    Have often wondered why people put down gravel. Most plants will grow even better in it lol Increases the drainge. If the purpose is to control weed it sure doesn't do that lol I curse the pervious homeowners who put down a marble chip bed and the weeds loved it. Had to get down on hands and kness and remove every rock.What a chore!!! gary

• kelpie473
    16 years ago

Lecithin is sold at health food stores in a granular form and a liquid form - the liquid is actually a very thick syrup. While you're there you can buy clove oil too.

Let us know if you concoct a good formula.

Suzanne

• stickgarden
    16 years ago

does anyone know where I should look for the strong form of vinegar? (I live in L.A. but I can also order online)

• sethissurfing
    3 years ago

Use strong 30% + vinager and soap. Kills all weeds..