Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzana_

Coffea Arabica beginner

suzana_
9 years ago

Hi everyone

I got a small coffee plant 10 days ago for graduation. It came in a very small (maybe 2 inches tall) coffee mug. By the time I got home from my school, it had traveled a full day in a car and on buses so I think it was pretty stressful for it. When I got home, I repotted it to a slightly bigger plastic pot. The problem is that the tips of leaves have started to brown and that hasn't stopped. The browning is present even on the newest leaves. The plant is in a generic plant soil, which I know contains perlite and fertilizer. I thought that the problem might be low humidity so I put it on a water filled pebble tray (pebbles are sea pebbles, dont know if that is a factor), or overwatering, so I started a Monday and Thursday watering schedule where I soak the soil, instead of what I did in the beginning which was watering a little bit almost every day. I will also start to mist daily. The plant is in a room facing south, but the sunlight is very filtered, almost in shade. I would put it out on the balcony where it's still shady but considerably more light, but it's pretty windy so I keep it indoors. Am I doing anything wrong? I really don't want it to die. I would appreciate your advice.

PS The plant consists of over a dozen individual stems, 2 separate clusters. Are each of them capable of growing in their own pot or do they all need to be together? I will try to post photos of all of this.

Also, I am located in Croatia where Mediterranean climate is present.

Photos:
http://postimg.org/gallery/2jdkptnq/4bf32525/

Comments (4)

• sf_rhino
    9 years ago

Suzana,
    That is most certainly a bunch of different coffee plants. Someone must have dropped a bunch of seeds into the same hole. Each stem can be planted separately. Overall they look fairly healthy.
    I'd separate them. Even if you lose a few you will still have several plants.
    Ryan

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

Indoors,they are very fast growers. If you are of a zone 10a in Croatia they do very well outdoors in filtered shade...just enough to keep them from burning or off color. They do though,like a lot of light indoors and out. NEVER let them dry out...they will defoliate,maybe die. They are fussy about that. in 3-4 years they can flower at 3' tall or more.
    Fun to grow,and look great with glossy leaves. They should be tried more often in homes and mild yards.

• houstonpat
    9 years ago

But.. give them good drainage. They will not tolerate any frost.

• jcr89
    9 years ago

I started mine from seed in May of 2013. Out of 6 seeds, ONE sprouted... My pride and joy! All I do is keep it in a north facing window where it gets bright shade, but no direct light. I have it potted in a soil mix of half sand, half cheapo potting soil to help with drainage. I water thoroughly when the top inch of soil feels dry- it seems to like water, just not to be sopping wet. The only other thing I do is I fertilize with every watering (after I have let the water drain through the bottom for about 30 seconds)- having said that, I dilute the fertilizer to a quarter strength so I can get away with fertilizing every watering. I just use the regular blue miracle grow fertilizer. One last thing, I placed two other small plants (golden hahnii) in the container with the coffee plant (my idea of helping the soil to dry out faster, who knows if there is anything to it...) I chose golden hahnii plants because I know they don't get a huge root mass, at least not quickly, and also because those plants stay very small so I don't have to worry about them aesthetically taking away from my coffee tree. And as for humidity- I don't do anything special! As a matter of fact, this tree has consistently been next to an air vent with a ceiling fan going 24/7. I have never had a browning leaf or any signs of distress.
    Personally, I don't see how people have problems growing this indoors... If I can do it under those conditions then so can you! :)

Best of luck!!!