Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Ochna integerrima

karyn1
16 years ago

Does anyone grow Ochna integerrima (Mickey Mouse plant)? I started a few from seed last summer and they are sooooo slow growing. My biggest one is only about 6" tall with 8 leaves. I just got them outside and transplanted them into 6" pots. Do they like lots of growing room or should I allow them to become somewhat rootbound (if they ever grow!). Am I doing something wrong or is this a slow growing plant? How long will I be waiting for them to reach blooming size? I have to winter it over inside under lights so I'm sure that doesn't help. The person I got the seeds from speaks very little English and I don't speak Vietnamese so I can't ask him for growing instructions. I can usually find out care instructions online for most of the plants he gives me but I haven't found much on this shrub.

Karyn

Comments (14)

• bahia
    16 years ago

In habitat it will be accustomed to long hot steamy summers and drier briefly colder winters. I don't think this species does well even here in southern California, but is probably grown in south Florida. As quite large plants are often grown in large pots in Vietnam, I don't think this resents being pot bound at all. I would just give it your hottest spot and feed regularly, and it ought to like your summer weather back in Maryland?

The South African version, Ochna serrulata is the more commonly grown species here in northern California, where it is also somewhat fickly about growing conditions, and shy to bloom except when happy. I have gotten this one to bloom here, but it is not a fast grower.

• jd_vu_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

Karyn, You are lucky to get the seed geminated.
    What I remember back from Vietnam is that Ochna integerrima grows VERY, VERY slow, especially during those first 3 years. It is a tree not shrub, could reach more than 12 feet as I have seen. It may flower after about 5 years, about 3-4 feet at that time in its native land when the trunk is about 1/2-3/4" size. Sandy soil, filtered sun, warm and high air humid are required.
    There are two major verieties in VN: Ochna integerrima- "mai van" (yellow "mai") or "mai Tet" which only flower around Vietnamese new year, and Ochna kirkii- "mai do" (red "mai") ,"Mai Tu-quy" or 4-season "mai" since they flower yearround.
    Could you ask if the guy (or yourself) willing to share some of the seedlings, or future seeds (must be fresh - or they won't germinate). I am willing to do something to compensate for the kindness.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just saw that this post was resurrected. My OI finally started blooming last year. It's still pretty small.

• maisaigon25
    12 years ago

How do you start the seeds.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just planted them about 1 inch deep in regular potting soil. I started them during the summer so the soil was warm.

• chimoanh
    12 years ago

I had raised hoa Mai(Mai vang of VietNam) in Cali for over 8 years now. With so many loss(plant die) due to the weather here in Cali.
    I finally get success, the important thing is how to get it root from bare root when import to USA. Ochna integerrima tree do not like to be with out soil in short period of time. It will take some where 5 to 10 days for it to get here in US. (with out soil and water.)
    It is verry dificult to plant by seeding, because you have to import seed from Vietnam,with many hassle paper work and permit.
    I spend so much time and money comsumming to raise Ochna integerrima tree.
    Thank God and with help from APHIS, I am now confident to raise them in California NOW.Ofcourse it is difficult but we can do it with many tricks (hard, costly learned lesson)
    I have more than 40 of them Alive and heathy, last year I have little flower, but next year 2013 It will bloom like it is in Vietnam.
    You can contact me at: chimoanh@yahoo.com
    PH 5.7 to 6.3
    Temp 68 to 85
    In Cali you need to bring plant inside the house in the Winter time and stay away from heater fant and less water.

• mykatlan
    11 years ago

Hi chimoanh,

Congratulations for successfully raising Hoa Mai Vietnam in Cali! I would like to know how we can import the bare root Hoa Mai tree from Vietnam. Could you please give me some hints?
    Also do you know if there is someone or nursery in Cali selling Hoa Mai trees from Vietnam?

Thanks.

• newgen
    11 years ago

mykatlan,

I saw this site from Florida, outrageous prices though.
    http://www.maivangflorida.com/index.php/mai-vang1

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm surprised that you are having difficulty finding the Ochna in your local nurseries. It's gotten fairly common in this area over the past couple years and is also easily found from several online vendors and Ebay. No need to import it from overseas.

• tylorgv
    11 years ago

I am very happy to report that my 3 years old Ochna Thomasiana (syn. O. Kirkii) is flowering this year. I was able to obtain seeds from Vietnam. From the seeds I planted, three germinated but only one survived. This plant has been kept in a greenhouse all its life. It will not survive the cold nights in Southern California. I will get seeds from this plant and will propagate more. I enjoy exchanging seeds/plants. Let me know.

This post was edited by tylorgv on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 18:18

• karen ngo
    7 years ago

ylorgv is there anyway i can get some seed/plants from you?

• lieminplano
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi chimoanh,

I have an Ochna Integerrima plant, given to me in March 2022. I put it outside on the edge of my pool which is on the south (sunny) side of the house. It grew well during the summer. I brought it inside when temperature drop to low 40 F at night. I placed it on a south facing window. It survive the winter, so far, and had sprout new leaves as well as flower buds.

I plan to hand pollinate the fowers and hope to get a few seeds. I need advice on handling the seeds I read here that you need to let the seed falls from the flower by itself and plant it immediately. Do I need to keep the planted seed in certain temperature range? My room temperature is 70F and the plant seem to be fine. Do you suggest to give it artificial light? If so what kind of light and what intensity level?

I'm happy that my plant is flowering and want to learn more about how to care for it and to get seedlings from it. Attached is a picture I took to day, 2/4/2023. I took it back inside.

I hope to have the honor of receiving some advice from you.

Regards,

Liem.

• jasmine UKzone9a
    3 months ago

@lieminplano the seed stay viable for a week. I picked the Ochna integerrima berry from tree. I kept it in a yoghurt tube for a week before I came home to plant it in pot. 1 month later, it finally germinate! good luck with your propagation.