Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
padmaja_gw

Mealybugs on jasmine plants.

padmaja
15 years ago

I bought about 5 maid of Orleans jasmine plants last year and brought them in during winter. One of the plants showed some waxy substance on them and when looked close, they are some bugs on them. These bugs spread to all other plants now. I looked up online and found that they are called mealy bugs. I bought more plants thinking I will have lot of flowers this season. Now I have all the plants full of bugs. Can some one tell me what I can do to get rid of the bugs for good? They are too many of them. I appreciate if someone can help me with this. I tried some insecticidal soap which got rid of some but I still see many left on the plants. Thanks in advance to any advice.

Comments (3)

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Hi Padmaja. It's too bad you didn't catch the mealy before plants got so infested.
    A cotton ball dipped in Rubbing Alcohol kills mealy, but since your plants have so many bugs, it'd take a lot of cotton balls and rubbing alcohol to do the job.
    Any plants without mealy should be moved from those that do. Mealy are very contageous.

If they were my plants, (if it's possible) take outdoors, remove plants from pots..discard old soil, scrub pots thoroughly. Hose roots, leaves and branches, using dish soap and warm water.
    Pot up in fresh soil, to cleaned pots. Keep plants outdoors (weather permitting) in a semi-shady spot.
    Since insecticidal soap killed some, perhaps a second or even third application may be needed. Read instructions on container for application and dossages.
    I spray with Fish Emulsion in fall to keep bugs, mainly scale, at bay. It works incredibly well, but don't know if it'd kill mealy.
    There are mealy insecticides on the market, which may or may not work, but if cleaning doesn't work, I'd look into it. Toni

• sandy0225
    15 years ago

Marathon 1% systemic insecticide granules are good for mealybugs, whiteflies, aphids and all kinds of things that suck sap on ornamental plants.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    15 years ago

I get them on my mandevilleas sometimes, the best thing that works for me is NEEM. Alcohol works okay too but the NEEM seems to work a little better. If it is in a pot you can just tip over the whole pot and get to the stems under the leaves better. I usually cut back my MOO jasmines in the early spring and treat the stems with NEEM too.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals