Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floh_gw

how to encourage thumbergia mysorensis blooming

floh
11 years ago

Hello, I grow from ten years my Thunbergia mysorensis in the ground near a very sunny southwest wall ( I live in south of France). It uses to bloom in the end of september because every winter it desapears and starts new growth in April. What can I do to get blooms before? ( I had thunbergia grandiflora in a same place ,it was blooming in july, unfortunately it died ( front refection with chemical products)

Thank you for your answers! FLO

Comments (9)

• ifraser25
    11 years ago

Salut,
    Vous verrez du nom scientifique que cette plante est d'origine indienne. Vous etes tres courageuse en tentant de la cultiver en Europe! Vous avez raison en situant au plein soleil, meme que dans les pays tropicaux elle prefere une situation a mi-ombre. Je suppose aussi que vous auriez fertilise bien avec engrais riche en potasse.
    Il faut d'ailleurs se rendre compte que le regime des pluies en France est bien different qu'en Inde. La vous avez deux saisons: avec pluie et sans pluie. C'est dans la saison plus chaude qu'il pleut le plus fort.C'est le contraire dans le Midi! Donnnez alors beaucoup d'eau en ete et laissez bien seche en hiver. Bonne chance! - Ian.

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Ian, will you please post your answer in English, too - your answer could help a lot of people, but most of us can't read what you posted.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I'd love to see that translation as well. I remember very little of my high school French and most of what I remember can't be repeated on an open forum. lol

My T. mysorensis is quite large but has never flowered. All my other thumbergia varieties bloom well once it warms up. My grandiflora already has buds.

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

Using Bing translator, the jest of what he said is:

Keep it well watered in the warm season and water very little in the cool season. Feed with a fertilizer high in potash, and provide part sun.

Jim

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Thanks.

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Karyn, will you root me some pieces of your vine? It's been on my want list for a very long time.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I've never had any luck rooting it. I thought I had but it turned out that I had rooted another variety with it in the same container and that's what took. It's just putting out new growth. Once it's filled in some I can send you some cuttings to try.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Going on the fifth year with mine. I had visions of it growing oover the shadehouse with the clusters hanging down inside lol Wanders everwhere except there and flowers FAR more on the outside lol I will say this in it's favor it is NOT invasive as so many other members of the family are but far more cold sensitive
    You can get them from Gardinos here in florida. gary

• floh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your answer. I think I will feed more with potash, I am waiting a little because new growths are not strong enough at the moment. Here during the summer it is very dry, I water every evening may be it is not enough!
    FLO

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Web