Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener972

Pineapple seeds?

Gardener972
17 years ago

I just cut open a pineapple and found a couple small seeds near the rind. Is it possible to grow a pineapple from seed?

Comments (16)

• minibim
    17 years ago

Why not just plant the top?

• Gardener972
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I had planned on doing that too as soon as it dries out but I'm a sucker of seeds, especially in something tropical.

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

You should be able to do it, just be aware that the resulting plant won't be true to the parent.

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

I was told it is easy... if you search on this forum, I think you can find the answers to this question that I asked earlier.

• Gardener972
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Heathen1, I actually did a search for "pineapple seeds" before I posted this with no title that suggested anything about the seeds. I'm curious to read it... how did you title it?

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Well, I looked... doesn't look like I started the discussions... just search pineapple, and there's a couple of threads, you might find your info that way.

• john_ny
    17 years ago

I posted something about this, some time ago. Supposedly, pineapples needto be polinated by hummingbirds. Again supposedly, thereare no hummingbids in Hawaii, and the are prohibited from being introduced; They don't want seeds in their pineapples, a major crop. However, here in New York, most of the pineapples we get come from Central America, or Dominican Republic, etc. Apparently they have hummingbirds there, because, when I was peeling one of the new "Golden" varieties (they are so much better), I found, just under the skin, these little things, that looked the size and shapeof sesame seeds, only dark brown or black. I put them in a pot, and they germinated. However, it took forever; three months to germinate and now, after 15 months, they are only about 3 inches tall. But, it can be done.
    {{gwi:1308667}}

{{gwi:1308668}}

{{gwi:1308669}}

• baci
    17 years ago

I have found seeds in fruits on the west coast, also. I am unsure as to whether they were from HI or South America  sometimes pollination accidents do happen. john_ny, it looks like you germinated yours in soil  have you ever tried the paper towel method?
    It is certainly easier to propagate by rooting the top, but seed propagation may allow you to develop a new variety. I have 3 very unusual plants that I will some day register  all because one of the seeds I planted were hybridized. It takes some growers years to do this  mine came about by accident.
    I think the old thread on starting pineappleÂs from seed was on the seed exchange. It has fallen off the forum.

• john_ny
    17 years ago

I had placed the seeds in a jar, with just enough water to cover them, to keep them moist, until I could plant. I forgot about them, and a couple of months later, I found them, and noticed some green coming out of them. I, then, dumped them onto a peat/perlite mix.

• sandy0225
    17 years ago

That's how I started mine too, in a jar with some water and when they sprout, then you can pot them up. I have too many plants and lost these during "tomato plant rush" season, but it was growing pretty well before that. They seem to grow real slow.

• hawaiichris
    17 years ago

I live on Big Island and grow pineapples in my yard. I have several varieties i started from tops of pineapples i got at the market. I consistently get seeds. I have a mix of Maui gold, white pineapples, and Oahu gold. For a couple of bucks i could send anybody a packet of seeds if they wanted to try to germinate them. chris.jasper@hi.usda.gov

• kellyoverseas
    17 years ago

i was wondering if i have to dry the pineapple seeds first before i put them in water or soil?

i think my kids would love to do the long process just to see a little plant.

• aroideana
    17 years ago

I got lots of seed in a fruit from an Ananas lucidus , there were many A. nanus in flower at the same time , and now the resultant seedlings show that the seedlings were cross pollinated . Some have lots of spines and red foliage , some are green leafed and no spines . I have planted some out and they are doing very well .

• somemightsay
    16 years ago

To the people who started them in a jar of water, did you keep then in sunlight or in a dark place? And did you let them dry out first? Thanks.

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

I didn't dry them out first, I just took them out of the pineapple, rinsed them off and put them in a baby food jar of water on the countertop. No particular light. I actually forgot about them, went to pour the water out and throw them away and then saw the little plants submerged in the water. Tough little things!

• Tarvus
    16 years ago

I've had good luck starting them in those little peat starter things. Slow to germinate and slow to grow, but a fun undertaking nonetheless! :)