Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hrigsby

Kniphofia uvaria: Variety ID

hrigsby
11 years ago

I was really anxious to get my hands on some torch lilies last year, so when I was at my favorite local greenhouse/nursery, and saw a flat of them, I just grabbed them, despite the fact that the cultivar wasn't listed. They bloomed for the first time this year, and while I'm incredibly happy with the size of the plants and the foliage, the blooms are rather small and mellow (was looking for bright coloration.

I still think they work in the space, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to the cultivar of these plants? The closest thing I've found is 'Apricot'.

Should I expect this coloration and size of blooms for the duration of the plants life, or is it common for the blooms to increase in richness and size (sort of like Lagerstroemia indica after they've been transplanted. Thanks for the help.

Oh, one more thing, the color could be due to the fact that the plants are only in partial sun as well. Those are hostas at the base of them, which is a most unusual combination but they both seem to be thriving.