Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petpalikali

Anthurium in full sun?

petpalikali
15 years ago

Hey there! Can I put Anthurium in full sun here in Wisconsin? Also, can I leave them in a pot...or is in the ground better. I will have to bring them back in for the winter. I got two plants last Fall, and have found conflicting info on my searches. Thanks, Deborah.

Comments (5)

• bodiggly
    15 years ago

Everything I have ever read about Anthuriums says to grow them in shade.

As to whether to grow them in the ground, I would say not. Even here in Florida, mine always do better in pots.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Hi Deb. Medium light would be best..Anthuriums need some light so bloom.
    I've grown tropicals in the ground successfully, but doing so has it drawbacks..One, wild-life..Rabbits, squirrels, etc, if around your neighborhood, may nibble on leaves. Insects, (not plant pests, but outdoor types) may find your plant desireable.
    The last drawback is when digging up in fall, in some cases, roots rip off. If you're careful, there might not be a problem..If the latter was to happen, after transplanting back to a pot in autumn, leaves 'could' droop, but with time, perk up. As long as you're careful, growing in the garden is fun. Plants can double in size though, and roots no longer fit the pot they were in before planting in garden.
    Do you have a sheltered area w/o direct sun you can plant your Anthurium? Are you setting other plants outside? If so, and they are sun-loving, you can place them around the Anthurium so they block direct light.
    What type of Anthurium do you have? Toni

• petpalikali
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Toni! Thanks for all the info in your posting. I got my Anthuriums last Fall from my favorite shopping area...my local yardwaste dump. One had a tag,'Red Hot', the other is much larger and a mystery. I've never grown them, but was hoping to plant them with my Cannas and go for a tropical look. They would get full sun there for most of the afternoon. I do have a covered porch on the north side of my house where I could put them, if that would be better? They have been indoors, about 2 feet back from an eastern exposure window...so I'm guessing that not a whole lot of light works. The bigger, mystery Anthurium looks great. The 'Red Hot' is just surviving though. I will definitely keep them in pots. So, the north porch should be a better place?

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Hi Deb. you found your Anthuriums in a dump? LOL. Wonder why they were tossed in the first place???
    Some ppl buy tropicals/succulents for summer gardens, then come fall, discard. I don't understand the logic.
    I got an Anthuium for free being a first time customer at one nursery. The Anthurium is called Big Red..I wonder if we have the same plant Hmm.
    What condition were they in when you found them? To be safe, check for pests.
    IMO, when you take Anthuriums outdoors, 'especially since they've been living a few feet from an east window, which isn't all that bright,' start with the north side. Full/direct afternoon sun may be too harsh and burn leaves. See how they do on your porch. Anthurims need light, but they crave for humidity. Is it humid there in summer?
    An outdoor north exposure may be brighter than e/w/s inside our homes behind panes or other obstructions. (curtains/shades/blinds/buildings/trees) If placed on your porch, will they get any east/west light off the side?
    Every so often, hose foliage. (Unless they're in bud/flower) Showers perk plants up. Rain water is best, but I don't know if your porch is sheltered.
    Good luck, Deb...hope it works out..keep an eye on your plants..Toni

• petpalikali
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Toni. Yes, it gets very humid here. The porch on the north side is covered and open to the north and east. My 'Red Hot' did not fare too well over the winter, but the bigger, mystery Anthurium looked great when I salvaged it and even better today! I just love, love, love my yardwaste dump. On the trip that I found the Anthurium, I came home with more than I dropped off! I even found a 4ft. tall Hibiscus tree! Yes, it's folks who buy the stuff for the summer and discard it. I'm more than willing to live in a house full of over-wintering plants during the cold, snowy Wisconsin winter! My friends tease me in the winter, but love my garden in the summer.