Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherryirene

can't get beaumontia and mysorensis to bloom

cherryirene
15 years ago

hI

I have been growing beaumontia grandiflora and thunbergia mysorensis for years, They look very healthy, but they never bloom.Help!!

Cherry

Comments (8)

• oldned
    15 years ago

Don't give up on the T. mysorensis. I planted one in October of '05....there are hundreds of those amazing flowers all over it today.

• popper1
    15 years ago

What are the conditions the T. mysorensis in? I had mine flower the summer after it was planted. rown in full sun, lots of water, grows very fast. I think the size of the plant is important, needs to be large to flower. Beaumontia needs to be mature to bloom, can be slow to bloom if in a pot.

• cherryirene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hI pOPPER1
    The thunbergia is in a thirteen inch pot. The beauumontia is huge in a twenty inch muck bucket. It seems to be semi deciduous in thta it loses a lot of leaves for a while and then they slowly come back. First time I had it, I grew it from seed and it was so big that I couldn't move it. Then it was in a greenhouse with fifty percent shade.Now it is growing in direct sun in Florida.

• leilaniguy
    15 years ago

Be patient with the Mysorensis. I live in Hawaii, and even here I waited 3 years before it first bloomed. In the 6 years since, it has never been out of bloom. It also needs to gain some size, mine was over 30' long when it first flowered.

• bahia
    15 years ago

I've had my T. mysorensis bloom in a 15 gallon container and with only 8 foot of growth, so they don't necessarily need to be big or old to bloom, especially if they are grown from cuttings off a mature plant, as mine was. On the other hand, here in northern California, it is not exactly ideal climate for them, and they only bloom in mid summer to mid fall.

On the other hand, I also have a Beaumontia grandiflora planted out in nearby Alameda on a 3 story tall east facing wall, and it must be about 40 feet across and 25 feet tall, and it hasn't bloomed yet after 5 years of being in the ground. I assumed it may not be getting enough heat or prefers full sun, but I see a much smaller specimen at San Francisco's Botanic Garden bloom every year, but it does get full all day sun. I wish I knew what if anything I could do to get my Beaumontia to bloom!

• cherryirene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tHAnks all for the info. Seems that I have to be patient with the mysorensis but beaumontia is still a mystery. It seems to be coming back from semi dormancy and what I am going to try now is low nitrogen fertilizer. I had never done well with dahlias. I use my own mix which includes a handful of nutricote 20-20-20 with minors. A seller on Ebay told me low or no nitrogen so I am going to start using low nitrogen formulas on other babies that don't bloom.
    CG

• popper1
    15 years ago

If you go too low or no nitrogen you may slow the growth down. Better to use one of the blooming fertilizers. Try to find one with both high P & K not just P.