Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audrey_gw

Can anybody identify these tropicals?

audrey_gw
13 years ago

Hi! The following were in a tropicals mix I purchased from Chiltern's this spring. Can anybody tell me what they are? Thanks!

{{gwi:225059}}
{{gwi:225060}}

Comments (15)

• wanna_run_faster
    13 years ago

The fourth picture looks like hong kong orchid tree.

• kayjones
    13 years ago

The third one looks like a Jatropha.

• alisonoz_gw
    13 years ago

4 is definitely a Bauhinia species, whether shrub or tree?
    3 I wondered some sort of Aralia but wouldn't discount Jatropha - would help if you could show the stalk.
    Can you contact Chilterns though, surely they can tell you what mixes they use, help you narrow it down.

Ps all your seedlings look very helpful, congratulations on such a great propagation - even if it takes a little while to ID

• karyn1
    13 years ago

The jatropha looks like it might be a multifida.

• audrey_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everybody. Any guesses on the first two, as they seem to be the ones for which I have the most seedlings? The stem of the jatropha or aralia has raised white dots on it, if that is any help.

These were from what is called Isaac's Tropical Mix, and are just described as seeds gathered in a tropical garden in the Dominican Republic. So I doubt Chiltern's can give me any more help than that. There were a few other seedlings that were obviously mallows of some kind, perhaps hibiscuses, a banana, something that looked like a moonvine or morning glory, etc.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

My multifida is a few feet tall and the stems are tan and sort of woody with scattered raised dots. The new green growth does have little whitish specks on it.

• audrey_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karyn,
    Thanks! You are probably right about the seedling's identity then. It is a very cute plant!

• trini1trini
    13 years ago

#1 looks like a citronella plant

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

The second one looks like a young Ruellia tweediana possibly mexican petunia.

• audrey_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! Somebody on the Name That Plant forum suggested citronella for the first photo too, but the leaves don't have that sort of fragrance. More of a cucumber-like odor actually. I think the ruellia suggestion for the second photo may be correct, however. Though I will have to wait and see what kind of flowers the plant produces before I can say for sure! Thanks again to both of you.

• trini1trini
    13 years ago

#2 looks like Galphimia glauca aka thryallis.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Thats another possibility. The only reason why Im still thinking its a mexican petunia is because of the purplish veins on the leaves, but I guess we will have to wait until it flowers!

• audrey_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everybody. Just noticed that #2 also looks somewhat like barleria lupulina. It is supposed to have thorns, though, and my seedlings don't. So, unless they develop thorns later, I'll probably have to count that one out!

• audrey_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi again, everybody. As the first plant pictured above began to grow, it looked more and more like a nettle, though without the sting. It just recently started blooming with small pink flowers, so I'm guessing it is probably the plant known as hemp nettle. Although reluctant to yank such healthy looking plants, I decided I didn't need any more weeds, so up they came!

• karyn1
    13 years ago

That's a let down. You wait all this time and it turns out to be a weed. I'm surprised that those seeds were included in a tropical mix.