Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mangosteen Lighting for Cutting

Posted by IndyAndy 5A (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 17:07

Hi, I live in Indiana in zone 5A and was wondering what kind of light conditions I should give my mangosteen. I know earlier mangosteens need indirect light and more mature ones need more sunlight, but I have a cutting. It is from an 8 year old mature tree, so I am not sure if I am supposed to treat it as a mature tree or not. Right now I have it indoors under a grow light and it seems to like the conditions it is in, but I would still like to move it outdoors. Also, I have a 1 to 2 year old mangosteen seedling, but I think it will go in an almost full shade area.
-Thanks for the advice :]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mangosteen Lighting for Cutting

I kept my Mangosteen seedling in good shade for a few years and then progressively brightened it over the next few years to direct sunlight. It's over 2 metres tall now.

Another I have on my place was planted by a previous owner is about 5 metres tall, don't know its age, but it's in strong filtered sunlight for most of the day.

Generally seedlings need shade for a few years at least, they're a plant that starts out life under the rainforest canopy and finally emerge through the top. Cuttings, though, could be different. I'd still keep it in shade for about a year or so before slowly bringing it into full sun. They're a beautiful plant, and an absolutely beautiful tasting fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here