Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replanting, need help...

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 17:08

Want to repot this elephant ear plant into arrangement. How deep should I go?? There seems to be a lot of brown stem but if you look close there is this green nodule??? Can I plant it deeper and closer to the green part of them stem or stay with the current depth?
Thank you so much for your time. :)

photo IMG_0749.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replanting, need help...

You can plant it a little deeper but not much. Nearly all those papery leaf leftovers should stay above ground. The rhizome of elephant ear is close to the surface - which incidentally is why it's such a good plant for near the base of trees. Good luck. Ian.

o

Excellent! Thank u for taking the time to reply. :)

o

Ps...should I trim off as much of the dry brown foliage as possible...some peels off pretty easy?

o

You may also find given a bit more room that it will form plantlets at the base which will give you new leaves lower down.

o

Alison is right - the pot is way too small for an ee - go with 12" across or larger.

o

I agree, a much bigger pot. If there was room, it would make pups. Those dried petioles are breeding grounds for pests, I would pull them off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here