Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
broomhildah

Ficus Benjamin Cold Hardiness?

broomhildah
17 years ago

I've seen similar posts, but I'm still looking for a specific answer. I live on the coast of Virginia, easily considered by most to be zone 8. Can a ficus tree live thru the winter here? Here's why I'm asking. I set one of mine out on the deck a few years ago, because I didn't have room to bring it in for the winter. No protection at all, not even a pot! Just cruely left it out to die. (I know, I know, there ought to be some sort of society I should be reported to). Come spring time, that dead, dried-out, pitiful branchy skeleton of a tree sprouted leaves. I watered, and fed it. By June it was fully leaved out and didn't seem the worst for wear and tear. I still have it, although the past couple of years I couldn't bear to leave it outside anymore and found room to bring it in. Now, my other two trees, which I've carried in and out of the house for 10 years and are at least 5" in diameter are just simply TOO big and heavy to for my aching back to do it again. So I took the plunge. I planted those bad boys right in the ground. This fall I plan to mulch them heavily and maybe even wrap them in burlap. Whadda think? Think they'll live thru the winter like the other one did? Any other tricks to help them along that you can think of?

Comments (2)