Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lychee tree soil question

Posted by jsvand5 9fl (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 08 at 18:07

I just bought a lychee that I am planning to grow in a container because my area gets a bit to cold for them. I was planning on using jungle growth potting mix from Lowe's and add a bit of peat and pine bark. Does this sound like it will work? Any recommendations for a better way to go are appreciated. Anyone have an idea of the soil PH in jungle growth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lychee tree soil question

How cold do you get? The weather trend lately will by moving lychee production further and further north.

Not sure on the jungle growth, maybe there is a website that will break down it's components and give you a PH. You could always wet down your mixture and get a reading yourself. I'm betting what you plan will work out fine...just make sure it drains quite well. You may want to add some large particle perlite to the mixture.

o
RE: Lychee tree soil question

I am in a pretty cold area of FL in Ocala. I get a few nights a year where it gets down in the low 20's and last year even had a night in the upper teen's. I ended up planting it in the ground but I have a 10x10x8 portable greenhouse that I am planning on putting over it on the few cold days in the winter. I have a couple mangoe's, dragonfruit and a guava in pots that will go in there to. I am thinking about picking up another Lychee to try in a pot. I can not decide between Emperor and Hak Ip. Any suggestions? I know most sites say the emperor is best for containers, but it seems like the Hak Ip is better tasting fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here